Swapping Mag Wheels For Spoked (?)

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by 3S1, Jan 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 3S1

3S1 Well-Known Member

I’m considering the purchase of a very nice low mileage 2010 Bonneville. It has a 2 into 1 Arrow exhaust which I’m not fond of but I can (easily I hope) swap out for a Norman Hyde. The more pressing issue is the mag wheels which I would like to replace with spoked wheels.

How practical is this conversion? Are the wheels simply interchangeable? Or will the forks need to be swapped also because of the caliper mounting points?

As always any suggestions and or comments greatly appreciate it!

By the way, but belatedly, happy new year!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The 17” mags are different diameters to Thruxton or T100 wheels so suspension, mudguards etc., all come into play. It is not really an economic conversion unless you get the bike and parts for a song. I would cast your net wider for one that meets your preferred spec. They will appear with Spring.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    One thing you might want to consider. Mag wheels use tubeless tires which is generally considered to be safer when compared to spoked wheels with tube tires. Just my 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    As @BigCLM has said think about the tyres and tubeless mag wheels over the spoked ones. Additionally spoked wheels require much more maintenance than the mag ones.

5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It’s not a like for like swap that I’m aware of

6. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Does anyone know if some triumph spoked wheels are tubeless,specifically the 2014 scrambler?
    Thanks in advance.

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Useful Useful x 2