Thruxton Suspension Settings On Thruxton R??

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Johnny Bachetti, Apr 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Johnny Bachetti

Johnny Bachetti New Member

Apr 13, 2020
    Milford, Pa 18337
    I just bought this bike and want to dial in the suspension settings for my weight and riding style. But I'm looking for a baseline from anyone in my weight range who might have already done some of the legwork and kept notes on settings.

I'm 216 pounds (98 kilos) and ride easy to moderate pace most of the time and will wick it up now and then.

Has anyone got a baseline for front/rear settings? It'd be much appreciated.

2. RebelHawk

RebelHawk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    I found a Youtube video for the Scrambler 1200XE that gave a break down for the vlogger. If I'm not mistaken they are the same Ohlins on the Thruxton as well. Hopefully this will give you a starting point.

• Like Like x 1
  3. carrock

carrock New Member

Apr 14, 2020
    carlisle
    I’m the same weight. I found the bike to be too harsh on standard settings. I set everything to soft as advised in the manual. It’s good enough for me and much better than standard settings

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #4 timboo, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    Finally decided to plunge into my thruxton R suspension setup and check what the settings were.
    I wrongly assumed the main dealer left them to standard. The front preload could explain some of my discomfort so far.

Anyway here were the findings.

Front
    Rebound - 5.5
    Compression - 5.5
    Preload 28

Rear
    Preload - 1
    Rebound - 22
    Compression - 18

For now I have gone with standard with the exception of front preload at 8 opposed to 7.
    Be interesting to see how it feels now.

I have not looked at sag but intend to take the bike somewhere to get it setup correctly for my weight. Anyone recommend somewhere near Cambridgeshire.

5. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Had a really good chat with Ben at BG motorsport based at silverstone.
    They have worked on plenty of Thruxton R/RS also on popup stands.
    One of their first questions he asked was my weight. If I weigh in excess of 90kg excluding gear or carry pillions he pointed out that the rear springs may need upgrading as I’m on the cusp. They will do a full check for me and if needs be swap the springs whilst there.
    Another bonus is possibly gaining black springs over the yellow ones.

It is therefore possible that no amount of tweaking settings alone will achieve the correct setup for me so worth bearing in mind.

Triumph have verified that they have used these guys many of a time.

Most importantly the cost aspect seems very reasonable for anyone who has been mulling over their suspension for a while. Once the springs come in I will be getting booked in. I will post an update after my visit in August.