Surgery on the Thruxton R

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Giles, Jun 21, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    Had a night to myself so I fitted the led indicators and tail tidy to my Thruxton. My initial thoughts were how well the tail tidy was made, quite a few components which were all good quality and went together easily.
    I fitted the front led indicators first the only surprise was how much wiring is tucked into the headlight and that the wire to the running light is very thin.
    The original mudguard, which is plastic, came off and the new assembly again fitted easily. My only slight bit of trial and error was with routing the wiring harness around the ECU as I didn't look well enough on removal.
    You then have to select the indicator type within the settings on the left hand screen, no messing with resistors, which I thought was cool.
    All in all a couple of thoroughly enjoyable hours well spent :cool:
    FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0966.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0968.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Tail light and indicators a great improvement on originals but does the number plate holder need to be so long? Just out of interest, The tail light doesn't bolt on to original mudguard does it?

3. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    I did think about reducing the length, it's not an easy thing to do as It would involve cutting, drilling and possibly bending to get all the items to fit. The easiest option would be to remove the centre bit completely and reattach the number plate.
    this may be done at a later date but I like the low profile look and configured like this will stilll be effective as a mudguard.
    the old mudguard is removed completely as is the light and wiring.

4. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Can you not just not put the extension bracket in? Looking at the Triumph images on the web theres pics of display bikes with the plate tucked up a lot closer to the seat hump.

5. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    I feel the same, I dinnae like that long stem, I may make one although I don't mind the factory set up, i'm matte black too !
    Drinky, we share a military history .

• Like Like x 1
  6. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Exmouth, that wont be hard to work out then will it?

7. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    so, with just a little filing and a bit of touch up paint you can make it look like this ;)
    IMG_0972.JPG
    FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Oh yes, far better looking. How did you do it, slash and cut?

9. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    not even that drastic. The centre section has the same bolt holes so it can be removed but then the rear section needs a notch cut into it so it fits properly. Half an hour all up. Think I may re-fir centre piece over the winter as it will provide much better protection.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    That has cleaned it up nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  11. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury

Perfect, all I need now is for Triumph to get their shit together and actually supply them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's better!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    image.jpeg Just fitted mine, knocked up a small plate to hold the numberplate light as well.

• Like Like x 3
  14. drinky

drinky Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Newbury
    Whats wrong with high strength plastic or pressed aluminium plate Triumph, lumps of cast aluminium weigh a tonne.

15. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    My Thruxton arrived today, too late to do much but one thing I noticed was the speed the LED indicators flash. Fitted by the dealer and official Triumph but just seem too fast.....how are yours ?

Thanks for the advice on the tail tidy, will sort that tomorrow.

Dealer also fitted noisy V&H's but left the baffles in which are held in place by a circlip, tried quickly to remove but really tight...any ideas.

Will put up some photos at the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    Want to hear more about those noisy pipes you lucky person :)

17. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    I believe that there is a blob of weld, in addition to the circlip, that needs to be removed before the baffle can be removed.

For the the indicators have they set the indicator 'type' within the clocks correctly for the change of indicator?

18. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    You're right jez, there is a tiny, pin head weld.......bugger!

I'll check with the dealer, probably not looking at the rest of the bits they put on for me, Is it something I can do myself or dealer only ?

19. jeznewsome

jeznewsome Active Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Preston, UK
    You can change the type yourself, with ignition off, press and hold Info button, switch ignition on still holding the info button until TYPE x comes on the LHS LCD. (Type 1 = standard then 2, 3 and 4). Cycle through with.........I know there is a link somewhere with the full instructions......... hopefully someone will be along shortly or just fiddle

• Like Like x 1