Featured Sun Is Shining, Time To Take Her Out...

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by ElectrAbigail, Apr 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ElectrAbigail

ElectrAbigail Someone to reMember

Aug 18, 2018
    Netherlands
    ...at least, that was the plan.

So I'm all packed and ready to go, got her out the garage, try to get her going but... nothing. No nice sound of my Bonnie starting.
    What did I miss? I'm already feeling stupid on my bike, getting my helmet off. Turns out, after 2 months in my garage, the battery died. And on top of that, also no petrol.

So first things first, I went out to get some petrol. Needed to buy a jerrycan and some cables to give the battery a spark (so glad the diy shop is open on a Sunday cause all other shops in the area where I live, are closed).

Back at my garage I filled her up. Got her outside and thought, let me wash her first, than I can really enjoy the ride. We'll that took me longer than I expected, haha. Also the battery was sooooo dead it took some time to get some life into her. So 2-3 hours later (cleaning, and acting like a heart surgeon with my car as a lifesaver) I finally sat down and rode off.

When I came back, I decided to polish her to finish the job. From top to bottom, but at the bottom (the rims to be precise) I saw that the chrome came off! :sob:
    IMG_20190414_174153__01.jpg IMG_20190414_174124__01.jpg

What did I do (wrong)? Cause it was only warm water with a teaspoon of soda and a sponge. Or was it the dots of rust (that I tried to rub of) that did the job?
    Better question, how to fix it?

So not only her battery died, she is also shedding. :mask: hopefully it isn't contagious o_O

All in all, I enjoyed today. Little adventure, made me wonder if I should take a jumpstarter with me on holidays? What do you guys take with, in case of emergency on your trips?

IMG_20190414_174052__01.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. ElectrAbigail

ElectrAbigail Someone to reMember

Aug 18, 2018
    Netherlands
    It's just a year old, thanks for the advice, I will visit them soon.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    ElectrAbigail.
    Well at least you got you ride in. And yes all my bikes live on an optimate charger when not on the road. I have never ever been stuck for a jump. Couple of times in the past I have let parking lights on and alarm but someone always pulls over and they give me a jump start. Your chrome is a whole new story. Those rust spots have multiplied under the chrome and lifted it. You ride a bike in salty weather or bad rain you must treat those rims. And lay a bike up make sure those rims are cleaned and treated with a wax polish. Only thing you can do now is re chrome not cheap or find new wheels.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Abigail, sorry to hear about your problems, if the bike is only year old then make sure you take it back to the dealer, that chrome plating should be good for 20 years not just 12 months.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I agree. Since you have owned this bike for about a year, don't waste time before a trip to your dealer. You wouldn't want it to expire!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Yes dealer.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    As for tools;- two chains of thought.

1/ Take everything you never know what you need
    2/ Take nothing, cos it doesnt matter what you take, what you need will be at home.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 7
  8. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    Should be a guarantee case on the rims...

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The Viking

The Viking Member

May 7, 2019
    North Norfolk
    Yes, that should not be happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Look, I'm really sorry to have to say this...but it's neglect.
    You can't just leave your bike for long periods of time and expect it to work well.
    My bikes live outside....but even though winter I'm out there regularly cleaning, checking ...making sure the batteries are fine..removing crud from wheel rims airing them on sunny days to keep the damp at bay.
    This is basic.
    Don't abandon your bike and hope it'll be ok.
    Sorry...I don't mean to sound critical but bikes aren't ok being left.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I have read other stories about chrome plating coming off on other Triumphs that have been used in winter, take it back to dealer & don't let them fob you off with rubbish that you shouldn't ride when salt is on the roads, the finish should have been up to it!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    There’s no excuse for the chrome to be coming off after one year of ownership, even if it’s parked outside. I’m sure Triumph will do the right thing and replace the wheel.

I don’t use my bike in the winter, but I do use an optimate and swap it between the Triumph and the VStrom during the winter months

Let us know how you got on Abi

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    My T120 never suffered from that issue. If I could get a decent price for my bike I’d sell it. The VStrom is far better in almost every way and really is the only bike I need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    BonnieCat.
    That's quite sad that your bonnie has displeased you. Did you try the dealers to see if you can get those wheels changed. Because as some of the peeps have said for chrome to strip like that is a sure sign of poor quality. And also a lot of that corrosion is coming from under the chrome so its worth a try.
    Regards
    Joe.

15. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Joe. My wheels are fine. At least I think so.
    It’s just I find the stock seat and suspension sadly lacking compared to Waspy.
    I fitted a booster plug which has improved the awful fueling but compared to Waspy it’s still pretty ropey.
    I had to buy 2 new tyres as the stock ones we’re diabolical.
    Adjusting the chain is difficult as the stock silencers are in the way of the adjusters
    I just think Triumph are taking the piss. I shouldn’t have to replace tyres, suspension, exhaust to make the bike liveable.

Waspy the VStrom knocks the spots off it

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    BonnieCat.
    Yes just me being an idiot. It was ElectrAbigail Wasn't it. I have said on here a few times. R K Leighton do a fantastid job on seats. Don't know how much to post it but I usually get all my seats rebuilt by them. They do exactly what you want. That's the t100 seat they did for me and I love it can ride all day on it. They even phoned me a couple of times to check if I would be happy with various options they were thinking about. I chose this one.
    Regards
    Joe.
    IMG_0823.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham

18. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    That seat does look nice Joe, but my major gripe is the jerky fueling. There’s no excuse for it. The VStrom is fuel injected like the T120 but it’s super smooth no jerkiness whatsoever. When ever I ride the T120 it ends up winding me up. Which is why after 2 years of ownership it’s only covered about 1800 Kms whereas Waspy has 6600kms and is much newer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    BonnieCat.
    Yes I see where you are coming from. Lots of peeps fit the power commander which supposedly eradicates the jerkiness. Can't say for sure as I have never done it but I'm sure some one here will join in with a genuine cure.
    Regards
    Joe

20. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yes I heard they are bad too. But as I say my VStrom is a 2018 bike and it just isn’t jerky. Suzuki seemed to have figured out how to do it.

• Like Like x 2
  21. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    That’s another few hundred euros I’m not prepared to spend Joe. It’s just not worth it

• Agree Agree x 2