Sun Glasses

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by petrolhead, Aug 3, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. petrolhead

petrolhead New Member

Jul 25, 2014
    #1 petrolhead, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    What sun glasses do you guys wear with an open face helmet

Looking for something thats polorised and impact resistent

MODS - I posted a similar question last night but was informed that the thread had to be modderated and it nver appeared, why was that

2. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Hi petrolhead

I use Helly Biker Eyes with an open face lid-they have cushioning around the frame to prevent wind blast affecting your eyes which would be a bad thing. They can be a bit more expensive than other cushioned glasses but they are very good and have polarised options-google them. Also checkout Held as they do some cushioned glasses as well.

3. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I've got a pair of Fuglies which are polarised, wrap around and have a seal between frame and face.

I wore an open face for years until I saw some facial injuries from stone/debris strikes and the the state of the chin piece from a mate's helmet after he was T-Boned. He would not have had a face if he was wearing an open face. As much as I like riding in an open face I won't do it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. petrolhead

petrolhead New Member

Jul 25, 2014
    #4 petrolhead, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Which ones do you use?

Saw these Drive Black - Sunglasses for Biking , any thoughts or do you suggest whatever I buy have the cussion?

5. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    I've had mine a few years but looking at the Helly site they are very similar to the speed king model. The ones you link to are not cushioned and would be OK behind a visor if they bare shatter proof but for open face i would recommend cushioned glasses. If you need convincing, chuck any pair of shades on and go do 40mph+ with an open face lid-when you can't see coz your eyes are watering or have road debris in them you know you need cushioned glasses!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    are you the snarly from the cb500 forum?

7. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    #7 SteveJ, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    I Don't need to wear sunglasses as I have this now which is brilliant :biggrin:
    These drop down visors are very good but you really have to go for the Shoei or the Schuberth as the others are a lot heavier.

These are brilliant when you going into shady spots or tunnels as it's very easy to drop up and down which you cannot do with sunnies.

No they aren't cheap but they are very good lids

Cheers

Steve

gt air.jpg

gt air.jpg

8. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Hi sprintdave

theres two of us??!! nope not me on the CB500 forum, i also lurk on the GPZ900 and HD forums

9. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    HD forums???

Whats that then? Televisions :tongue:

10. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Lol-if only it was! everyone has a dark side !

• Like Like x 1
  11. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    lol . ok take care anyway and yep theres two of ya. hey apparently some people have a light side........not me tho

12. Bonnie2014

Bonnie2014 Member

Aug 25, 2014
  13. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    When riding my Trophy SE, I wear a Bell Magnum open face helmet. On bright days I wear Ray Ban Aviator green tinted sunglasses. For overcast and dull evenings I wear Ray Ban sodium tinted glasses. On wet days and at night I use my Britax Aviator Goggles.
    I have been trying out a Nolan flip up helmet with integral sun visor. I am very impressed and may retire my Bell.

14. Nixy

Nixy New Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Merseyside
    Wiley X Brick. Light adjusting lenses. Ballistic strength. Really impressed with them. Not cheap though. You can try before you buy at most Harley dealers here in Uk.Buy online to get them without HD logo on them

15. cav

cav Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Germany
    Cheapo sunglasses from Louis with prescription lenses, if the frame breaks nip back, buy a new pair
    pop out the coloured plastic, pop mine in job jobbed.

16. Stan Field

Stan Field Member

May 6, 2018
    Bristol, UK
    You lot clearly have too much money. Try bolle Silium safety glasses from screwfix. They are ballistic tested to the latest safety standard, anti glare, adjustable nose bridge, lightweight, fit perfectly, look great and are £10. Better than any pair of motorcycle glasses I've ever had, even £100 + ones.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I wear prescription sunglasses with goggles over the top. I keep a pair of ordinary glasses with me for when the sun goes in. The goggles are Bolle Chronosoft Tactical sold on Ebay as 'Steve McQueen' motorcycle googles when I got them. They meet NATO standard for military ballistic protection.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I have the same goggles Rich - much more comfortable than my old ones.
    I also use Ugly Fish and Choppers padded sunglasses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yeah but we’ve been busy :p

• Funny Funny x 6
  20. Stan Field

Stan Field Member

May 6, 2018
    Bristol, UK
    Acid does strange things to people

• Funny Funny x 3
  21. Cafe Racer

Cafe Racer Member

May 30, 2018
    UK
    #20 Cafe Racer, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    @Stan Field - I followed this advice and mine arrived today. The best motorcycling Top Tip I have ever been given. £12+delivery vs £120 for the Bolle (same brand) sailing glasses I used for riding that I lost two weeks ago when riding off from a petrol station without putting them back on. That's a tenth of the price and they give both a larger area of protection and don't look odd inside the helmet. UV, impact and scratch resistance are per the lost pair.

Bargain of the decade.
    Thank you, Sir.

CR

PS - £12 not £10 as I went for the "plus" model!

Edited to correct a typo.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    I know this is an old thread now but for anyone looking for something decent to wear and for a reasonable price try these Bloc Brand,
    I was always a Rayban user but these lenzes are very good think they do a polorised one also the outdoor sports people wear them,

https://www.bloceyewear.com/bloc-scorpion-p301-p101