Sump Gasket Leaking

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by PETER JENNER, Jun 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PETER JENNER

PETER JENNER New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    WORCESTER CITY, UK
    Hi all. Pete the newbie here. i bought a 1994 T300 Daytona off ebay uk A year ago that promised much in the ad [looked fine from the pics] and "had a liitle oil leak. well turns out the bike has more issues than me. however to the main point. the oil is leaking from the sump area and whilst i've got the header, pipes carbs etc off, i must repair it.
    Can anyone tell me how many bolts hold the sump on? i have removed all the ones from the outside, {15 as i recall} and found one in the middle which i've removed. the sump still won't come off so i can hopefully replace the gasket. sprint engiineering say 15 round the outside and TWO in the middle. i can only find one but hopefully there will be another, the last one, hidden under all the crap. does anyone know? thanks, p

2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    What cc Daytona?

3. PETER JENNER

PETER JENNER New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    WORCESTER CITY, UK
    Hi, thanks for reply. well here's A thing, in the ebay ad it said 900 daytona with all the cosworth model bits on, the 115bhp one. minus the fairing., the seller never sent his part of the log book off, or whilst i'm at it , the gasket set he promised he's mail on to me when he "forgot" to bring it when i collected the bike and paid cash. i have been quite unwell since buying it, so only now am in the process of getting a V5 in my name, i did get the green slip of him on purchase. i am sure its an 885cc.

4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  5. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    The 955 has 14 bolts round the outside whilst the 900/1200 Daytona’s seem to have 15.
    I suggest checking the VIN number on your headstock to get the right one.

7. PETER JENNER

PETER JENNER New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    WORCESTER CITY, UK
    Hi Gary, thanks for the info. very helpful that triumph site. i found other places online selling gaskets but only it "sets". the expoded diagrams are very useful as well. it would appear there are two longer bolts near the centre of the sump not the one that i thought. that would explain why the sump won't come off. i only hope i have'nt damaged it..
    the seller said in the ad it had all the super111 bodywork on, and he said he's checked the engine numbers etc and it was "inconclusive" whether it was a real super111 engine or not.
    He failed to tell me the thermostat on the cooling fan was'nt working... i found out on the way back it was badly overheating it traffic. i think i broke so many laws overtaking tens of miles of cars parked in jams on the way back. i just knew if i'd been a good boy and sat in those jams it would have blown a head gasket and then i've have been in deep bother.
    bypassed the rad thermswitch a few days later when i got back and the fan worked... i did'nt know anything about his bike before buying otherwise i've have bridged the knackered thermoswitch with a bit of wire before setting off back.
    i let you all know how i get on and post some picks when the thing is running and back together. cheers, P

• Like Like x 2
  8. PETER JENNER

PETER JENNER New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    WORCESTER CITY, UK
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
  10. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    The two central bolts are, 1 on the centreline of the motor in front of the oil filter, 2 beside the sump plug.

See page 2.30 in your Haynes manual

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Having done it successfully on a Small Block Chevy I am a great fan of using an RTV silicone instead of a gasket on low pressure applications like cam covers Nd sumps. Clean scrupulously, run a bead and allow to cure for 10-15 mins to non sticky touch before bolting up.