Stupid question from a Newby

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Bluenoze78, Nov 15, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    Hi

Not sure this goes on this board but here goes...

Just got the green light from the wife to learn to ride! :) ....... Pencilled in for Jan 17

Have been looking at all sorts of cruisers and finally settled my heart on a "America".... was at the dealership at the weekend and the chap there says they have Speedmaster available but don't have stock access to any new America and he does not know they will make them for 2017 ....WTF...Nooooo?!

Is this true? anyone else heard of this?

Next question is - Is the Bonneville and the America the same?, I believe its the same engine but do the handle bars differ? If the dealer is correct I may well be looking to buy a second hand bike so would appreciate the insight from the knowledgeable?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
    BN

2. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    THANKS! .....Is the Bonneville bars / pegs different to the America?

I see lots of "America (and/or) Bonneville" bikes out there but only some are labelled just "America" - I cant visually see the difference....(untrained eye)

Having 3 daughters the thought of spending hours in the garage cleaning chrome appeals to me thus the "bling" America over the speedmaster has it!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    welcome BN,are you getting a smaller bike to learn on first? it might be an idea to spend a few months on a cheap 2nd hand bike,then hopefully come the summer time you can progress onto your America

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Blue, see answers in red.

5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    click on click to expand :D

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Oh Jez, and at such a young age too !

Click on the "Click to expand" option in the post

7. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    Dougie, Hi

I may do, I'm going to do the Full / Direct Access course..... (They provide the bike, 125cc for CBT then 600cc (I think)) to pass the tests..... (Family buying all the kit for XMAS...hence 2017 learning (or I would do it tomorrow))

My desire to buy an "interim" bike is not huge and I am not a fan of the buying (and more so the then having to sell) process. I appreciate the benefits of starting small and "moving up" in terms of bike cc size.

I'd rather get the bike I want and go "easy" on it - I'm a lazy cruiser rather than a speed junky.... I appreciate biking is more the need for the awareness of others around you and what they do (or don't) and experience as a rider can only be gained by riding. I have a few mates that ride bikes and will likely tag along with them to gain "Road experience"

The "wife pass" was only given on the proviso I make sure I am around to pay the bills....I meant be there for the family/kids :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i take it there is not a limit on the power of the bike you can get once you pass your test? i'm sure there is for young riders but i'm not clued up on the situation for older guys

9. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    Big Lad - Thanks!

I wont pretend to know what the 360 crank etc is but I love the fact you guys do!

Problem for me is I have the "bug" and am spending parts of my working day just searching articles etc on Triumphs :)

10. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    Nope - Once I pass the Direct Access I could go mental (but wont) :)

11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    And that is a very good thing to do. Learn as much as you can about your new passion.

12. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    5ft 11 and c 17st - "Stocky" with cuddle round the edges :) - Sat on the Speedmaster in the showroom and it was comfortable although visually the America does it for me.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    PS Im 38 years young!:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You need to get an America. Anything else and you'll always be saying - "I could have had an America..............."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    That's a very cool bike!...America would be the preference though! If you don't mind me asking whats making you sell the Speedmaster?..Rocket III? :)

16. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    Haha - in which case I am in the hands of older wiser men than I!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    Question all - Is "Importing" a viable option.... or not worth the hassle...

18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Stupid Question? What is a stupid question? AAH! I think I know now.

good advice above from all, importing, in my opinion, should only be done if you really cant find anything over here. Take your time something will turn up

19. Hogster

Hogster Active Member

May 12, 2016
    Devon
    I would get ur DA out the way first get a interim bike to get ur skills up, there is a very high chance that you will cause some damage to it and your leaning curve will be much better on easier handling and less precious bike. I too liked the look of the America but hated how it handled it is a different beast to a Bonny which I loved from the moment I took it out. Not saying there is anything wrong with the America, far from it. Just be aware that they all handle differently and require different riding styles which you will not know what you like yet! If you really can't bear a interim bike then after your DA try as many as poss before you commit! Good luck and welcome

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bluenoze78

Bluenoze78 Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Reading
    I know that's good advice, I know it makes sense, I know I'm old enough to heed it.... it's just (Whineeeeey child voice) "I want an America"

I'll probably get something when I pass.... but I don't want to :)