Stuck Oil Cap?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Thruccy Sean, May 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccy Sean

Thruccy Sean Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    I suppose this isn't particularly 'technical' but I can't get the damn thing off!!

I've only had the bike a month and I'm not even trying to change the oil, it's fine.

I just wanted to swap over my oil cap for a different one that's all. I've tried using a 50 pence piece to undo the oil cap but when that didn't work I went for a fairly chuncky flat head screwdriver. That wouldn't budge it either :confused: the bikes cold by the way and not been used for a couple days.

Any tips for loosening this thing??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Like Like x 2
  3. #3 DeletedUser002, May 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
    50 pence piece and turn it with adjustable (plumbers type) grips. Their near 90 degree angle will give good leverage (that won't foul the rest of the bike/engine) given the current slot position. If that fails, get the bike hot and try it again with thick old bike gloves on to protect your hands from burns. A few (sensible) sharp taps with a small hammer should help too. Best to insert the 50p and strike that imo.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thank you all for your replies :)

What have I learnt? I need some mole grips!

Without them I tried a wrench but that wouldn't open wide enough so then I tried a big pair of pliers but they wouldn't open wide enough either :confused:

Ended up going back to the 50p piece and holding it with a pair of pliers, then putting it in the slot on the oil cap and giving it a few light taps with a hammer. Still holding the coin with the pliers I tried turning it. I didn't think it would budge as the coin was bending but eventually it moved enough for me to then be able to turn it freely :) that cost me 50p :mad:

[​IMG]

However when I tried to put the new oil cap in it wouldn't go :( bought from square deals.co.uk and advertised as a direct swap for the Thruxton, Scrambler and Bonnie but I'm telling you it doesn't fit.

It goes in and catches the first bit of thread but won't turn more than half a turn or so before it feels like it locks up. I don't want to force it through fear it won't come out. Comparing the two the depth of thread on the new piece (top) looks ever so slightly bigger compared to the original.

[​IMG]

Pop the original cap back in and it moves either way completely freely. So the new part will have to be returned.

Disappointing because I quite like it ...

5. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    There isn't any red stuff?

I think the red that you see around the edge of the oil cap in the picture is just the reflection of the red side panel/tank. At least I hope so anyway :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    #6 Thruccy Sean, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Yeah the cap is far to wide. I think it's like 10" as my 8" wrench would fit around it :eek: I tried a couple of screwdriver bits but they get swallowed up.

7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

The bottom original one doesn't appear to have an O ring on it unless you removed it to fit to the new one or dropped it?
    This could explain why it was so difficult to remove if it didn't have one

8. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Is the O ring the rubbery ring? If so it was there it just wasn't on the thing when I took the picture. Think I'd taken it off the original piece to see if it fit the new cap.

9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Yeah I see it now. :p:p:p Have you oiled the new one , it can make a difference. o-ring = rubber ring

• Like Like x 2
  10. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    OOhh Arhh Your just teasing us are'nt you :D:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    :D

I'll try that before I totally give up on it, would rather not have to send it back and all ...

12. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hold the threads together side by side to see if the pitch and thread angles are the same.
    The thread form should match perfectly.
    Next check is the outside diameter which should be exactly the same on both caps.
    Definitely DO NOT force it into your engine casing or you may cause very expensive damage.
    My bet is the the thread has not been cut deep enough on your new filler cap.

13. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Thanks. I've just measured with some callipers.

The outside diameter of both is the same and the thread angle looks about right. However I've measured the distance between the thread and space between the thread on the original cap looks to be about .3mm where as on the new cap it looks closer to .4mm

I don't think oiling the new cap will help to be honest. Just tried again and although it initially catches the thread inside the casing it seizes up after less than half a turn by hand. It's not right.

I'll obviously make squaredeals aware of this when I return the item, just not sure whether to order a direct replacement and risk it being the same or try something else ...

14. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Hmm I reckon it'll look better when it's in front of me. Just looks like it 'sticks' out quite a lot in the picture. Not to fond of what else they have on Squaredeals though to be honest, everything else looks much the same as the original.

15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I'm not sure I fully understand your description of the 0.3mm and 0.4mm variation.
    If it is only going in half a turn something is clearly wrong.
    Does the original cap screw in and out with ease ?
    I would ask Squaredeals to send you another cap and use the original in the interim.

16. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Ha! That's what I was worried about!

17. Thruccy Sean

Mar 14, 2017
    Wallington, Surrey
    Sorry it'll be my bad understanding of what all the bits and pieces are called.

I meant the variation occurs between these points. It's slightly bigger on the new cap and yep the original cap screws in/out perfectly.

[​IMG]

I'll ask square deals for a replacement and if it's the same again I'll go with Dozers suggestion :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #18 MickEng, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Hi Sean,
    I am presuming the arrow heads are to the top of the thread angle and not indicating the 'pitch' of the thread.
    The difference in that dimension can be caused by 3 things.
    1) the thread angle, (because the screw cutting tool angle is incorrect)
    2) the screw cutting tool is too wide (0.1mm wider)
    3) the thread is too deep
    That is why I asked you to put the threads side by side one inside the other to see if the threads match.
    They should fit perfectly with no gap showing.

Providing the pitch is okay.
    Point 1 could be causing the problem. (Wrong thread angle)
    Points 2 and 3 the new cap should screw in okay

• Like Like x 1
  19. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Give squaredeals a call, they are very good I had a problem with a part and they got the replacement to me the next day, very apologetic.

20. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Probably manufactured in China?