Stripping Overhauling Brake Calipers From A 2001 Sprint, What Am I Going To Find??

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Flashp, Aug 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I have some time off due soon and I plan to do some bike work that I have no service record for, in this case caliper seal replacement. Obviously it's impossible to know for sure but I wonder what state I'm likely to find the pistons in. I'd like to have my service parts ready and I'm trying to decide between a seal kit and piston/seal kit.

What materiel are the OE pistons? I notice the service kits tend to have stainless parts.

Cleaning pistons - what's best to use? Brake cleaner and 0000 wire wool?

Any tips?

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Will do. I actually haven't seen a service kit for the rear. I've not checked Fowlers but Square Deals didn't have one. I should include the rear though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I would keep wire wool away from pistons and bores. Use Brasso! Rinse well......

4. AndyB67Explorer

AndyB67Explorer New Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Wakefield Yorkshire
    Hot soapy water first with a stiff tooth brush, then maybe afterward a squirt of brake cleaner to swill it off.. A smear with red rubber grease to lube the seals and stop further corrosion..

• Like Like x 2
  5. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    #5 DanielB, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    How did you get on Flashp?

I've just done a full strip, clean and rebuild of my front calipers (2002 speed triple).

It was a little unnerving to start with but actually, is only nuts and bolts!

My pistons were quite pitted. I found a full seal kit for £50...but then found a piston and seal kit for £100 total. So, seeing as I was elbow deep I decided to just replace it all...now I know it's tip-top.

I only bled the front brakes in the spring, but, that said, what I found in the fluid veins (?) that take the fluid to the actual pots, was full of a waxy sludge....I had to poke it and work it out with brake cleaner and a slim cable tie... But it was satisfying but also reassuring to get it so clean!

New seals and pistons lubed with brake fluid and all popped in with a reassuring 'thunk'... Bolts copper greased and all torqued up.

I treated myself to some stainless steel bolts, banjo bolts and bleed screws... And I feel chuffed that a significant job has been done well, and done by me!

Good luck if you still have it to do.. happy to help of I can....

• Like Like x 2
  6. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I just sold the bike so my list of winter jobs went in the bin! :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    That one way of avoiding a brake strip i suppose.:p