Striple Cuts Out

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Iain kubrycht, Jul 7, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iain kubrycht

Iain kubrycht Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Edinburgh
    So I was riding home from work last night doing about 60mph when my bike started "spluttering" and jerking. I slowed down to abou 20 and it cut out. Stopped the bike and had a look for leaks (none) and checked the chain (fine). Tried to restart and it fired up no problem. As soon as I let the clutch out it stalled. Tried again with higher revs and it lasted a few metres before dying again. Any ideas? Kickstand cut off? Clutch safety switch?

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Did you get to the bottom of your previous gremlins? It sounds like an iffy connection in the safety lock out circuit of clutch or sidestand or neutral switch.

3. Iain kubrycht

Iain kubrycht Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Edinburgh
    Yup what I'm thinking. Going to take it apart on Sunday. And give it a deep clean. Hopefully just dirty and not faulty. Had a quick look this morning and it's pretty filthy around the side stand. Was just strange how it started when I was doing 60 if it is the side stand. Thank god it didn't start 10 minutes ago when I was on a stretch of road where there's no place for police to hide! o_O

My previous gremlin was a burnt wire. That bits all sorted now I think.

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You're sure you had enough fuel in ??

5. Iain kubrycht

Iain kubrycht Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Edinburgh
    Haha! Yes. No light on and sits idling away quite happily in neutral. Only cuts out when I select gear and release the clutch.

6. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Long shot......but is the inside of your tank showing any rust?

7. Iain kubrycht

Iain kubrycht Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Edinburgh
    Not that I've noticed and my tank has been off quite recently sorting previous issues.

8. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    The reason i ask is i had the same issue once, bike ticking over ok but when i put her in gear and let out the clutch to go she would cut out. It worked out that just enough petrol was getting through the pet cock to allow her to tick over but not enough to ride her, The petcock filter was semi choked. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Forgive my stupidity by I presume Striple = Street Triple
    And I presume it is ECU fuel injected

So it runs fine in neutral with clutch out, but in gear as the clutch is let out and the engine takes the load it stalls.
    Does it rev fine in neutral, and in gear while the clutch is in. I presume it does.
    How does it cut out, is it a decline in revs or a quick shut off like a switch has been thrown?
    If it is a decline in revs, maybe a fuel mass sensor or the ECU has thrown a wobbly and not giving the fuel needed

Just throwing out ideas but still guessing.

10. Iain kubrycht

Iain kubrycht Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Edinburgh
    Ok cheers. One more thing to check.

11. Iain kubrycht

Iain kubrycht Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Edinburgh
    Revs fine in neutral. Starts stuttering when trying to start in gear unless I hold the clutch lever in a certain position. Not all the way in but almost. Won't start at all when in gear and clutch all the way in.

If I release the clutch quickly with revs up it cuts out like a switch but if I ride the clutch while throttling it stutters then stops.

12. Iain kubrycht

Iain kubrycht Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Edinburgh
    Revs fine in neutral. Starts stuttering when trying to start in gear unless I hold the clutch lever in a certain position. Not all the way in but almost. Won't start at all when in gear and clutch all the way in.

If I release the clutch quickly with revs up it cuts out like a switch but if I ride the clutch while throttling it stutters then stops.

13. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Sounds like a side stand or clutch switch connection. If in neutral then the sidestand can be down and clutch can be open or closed.
    When in gear the 2 switches are designed to cut the engine if the sidestand is down. The clutch switch not so much as it is only there to stop the engine starting if it is in gear.

Just a thought, does your neutral light work properly, is it possible this is faulty and the bike thinks it is in neutral when it is in gear and cuts the engine as you release the clutch as it is getting confused?

To start with, use a good dose of WD40 on the clutch and sidestand switch and see if that has any effect

14. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Another long shot.....you haven't trapped any pipes etc when you replaced the tank????? theres a lot going on under there pipe wise & a trapped pipe may give you grief. However, i think like others, it`s a switch, my money...side stand.

15. Iain kubrycht

Iain kubrycht Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Edinburgh
    Problem solved yesterday evening. It was the kickstand safety. Tried cleaning. No joy so it is now bypassed. Surely I won't forget to flick my side stand up! o_O

Thanks for your help guys.