Thruxton Strip-down... Like A Cafe Racer

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Dave Roxburgh, Jun 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Roxburgh

Dave Roxburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Suffolk
    Anyone looked into stripping the Thruxton 1200 down to the real bike underneath? Ditching the ABS, traction control, cat, electronics... fitting carbs... basically making the bike more like a cafe racer.

Yeah, yeah, I know, there would issues, performance and legal.

I tried to start it yesterday and all my other bikes would have struggled a bit and then started. The Thruxton, with its clever electronics, entirely cut the power to the solenoid - I guess because the battery voltage was a little bit low. Yeah, sure maybe that's to protect the electronics... but I don't see how - over-voltage will damage electronics, not under-voltage. Sure, someone might keep the start button held down for too long and burn out the solenoid/starter motor. But LET THEM! Triumph had the choice to help riders who know what they're doing or the muppets who don't - it's not a great brand move in my opinion to leave experienced riders stranded (by artificially cutting the starter motor) in order to stop the muppets from burning out their starter motors. The muppets will find another way to cause damage anyway.

Or maybe the solenoid / starter motor on Triumphs are particularly prone to burning out???

Grrrr