Street Twin Upper Triple Clamp Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by BigCLM, Apr 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I noticed by accident on my 2018 Street Twin (when cleaning my bike) that the headlight frame was not seated into the holes in the upper triple clamp. When I purchased the bike new I also purchased the touring wind screen and had it installed by the Triumph shop before I even picked up the bike. My guess is that when the shop installed the wind screen they had to remove the upper triple clamp, then they did not put it back together properly. Another great example of an official Triumph sales/maintenance shop 'not knowing what they are doing' !! Here I am riding around my new bike for a year now with a loose headlight.

I have to remove the upper clamp (raise it up a bit) to put the headlight frame back where it belongs. My question is if the upper clamp is easy to remove? Seems like only the center nut plus the 2 side clamps on the forks. Then it should pop right off.

Any thoughts are appreciated as I have never removed this upper clamp before.

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    My thoughts are that if the shop is local then take it back to them and get them to give it a full check over :cool::cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I agree with Helmut but if you are doing it yourself I’d put some kind of support under the engine just to take some weight off the front end, don’t raise it clear of the ground just take the weight off the front. Then, as you say, it’s just the centre nut and the two that clamp the top of the forks.