Street Twin Tire Upgrade

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by BigCLM, Jan 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    #1 BigCLM, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    I ride a Street Twin with stock tires (Pirelli Phantoms). I noticed a lot of ST owners like the Avon Storm 3DX-M tires. Interesting that the stock front Pirelli tire is a bias ply tire, not a radial. But the stock rear tire is a radial. The Avon Storms are radial front and back.

Please offer opinions on the handling of the Avon Storms on the ST with a radial front tire. I don't ride particularly aggressive as the ST is not a sport bike. But is there a noticeable difference with handling (and mileage)? I don't dislike the stock tires as they have worked well for me. And out here in California the roads are dry most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Cant speak to the Avons

I have Continental Road Attack 3 and I think they are way way better than stock

On FaceBook a poll was taken and the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 3 was the highest voted tyre for the Street Twin

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I have been reading everything I can find regarding replacement tyres for the ST series of bikes. I have a Street Cup and ride almost exclusively curvy mountain roads pretty aggressively. I’ve been mostly happy with the Pirellis, but will have worn them out at about 6k miles. Given all that I have found I will be trying the Conti Road Attack 3s soon if I cannot get Michelin Pilots that fit.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I found the stock tyres on the Twin to be a massive disappointment, and ended up avoiding absolutely anything on the road that wasn't pristine tarmac. An upgrade is a very good idea IMO.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    My stock pirellis are about gone at 5k, interesting that my front is worse than the back. I have checked pressures before every ride. The rear has no flat spot, as I ride no highway miles and a lot of mountain twisties. The front has always shown a bit of feathering of what siping it had but no cupping. I guess I’ve just pushed that front tyre pretty hard. Hopefully the Contis will be an upgrade, unless there’s a more aggressive sport tyre someone can recommend that fits. I so wish the Thruxton wheels would fit my bike!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    The Attack 3 front tire is a radial design. Can you comment on the handling difference when compared to the stock bias ply design tire?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    FYI, many seem to also like the Avon Storm 3DX-M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. John Goadby

John Goadby New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Norwich
    Hi
    Can any recommend UK a supplier for CRA 3 tiers please
    Kindest regards
    John

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Simon64ds

Simon64ds Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2020
    Sussex, UK
    I can recommend the Avon Spirit ST tyres for the 900cc bikes. Radials back and front they don’t give the horrendous white lining that the stock Pirellis do. Available in the standard sizes too.

Why on earth Triumph do the whole ‘radial rear/bias ply front’ thing is a mystery to me. They did the same on the early Tiger 800 XR and that took a tyre change to make it steer nicely. Come to think of it, they were Pirellis too.. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes I have used Avon's on every bike I have ever owned. To me they just feel better and transform the bike completely. Also found Avon to be very helpful wit advice and tire choice. And lastly they seem to come a little cheaper and last a thousand miles more. Plus all the Bonnie's had Avon's it was the first thing to do. I am riding my 900 bonnie on the stock tires and starting to think they got to go even though they have only done 2500 miles but they are rubbish.
    Regards
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Avon Storm will transform the ride for the better. I've had two sets on mine now and recommend them highly.

Same for any bike using the Phantoms which track every rut and banding on the road.

• Like Like x 1