Street Twin Recall

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by Tony Richardson, Mar 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    I had a phone call today from Lings Triumph in Norfolk where I bought my bike from saying that there is a recall on my bike to fit a protective shroud around the headstock to prevent wiring chafing, not a big job I understand.
    I did mention that I had fitted handlebar risers to my bike to relieve neck ache I was experiencing, the caller said that it was a bad idea and would only make the wiring problem worse!.
    I guess I will know more when I take it in for the recall.!

• Like Like x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    what year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    Mine is 2016, but I don’t know any more details of the recall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Antony M

Antony M Member

Feb 18, 2019
    Mountsorrel
    That's interesting, my 2017 street twin had a wiring loom problem around the headstock which caused an intermittent front indicator. The dealer fixed it under warranty. It was less than a year old at the time. Perhaps I'll get a letter in due course ?

Screenshot_2018-03-07-16-42-32.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I understand it was for the initial 2016 model year (as it was a new bike for Triumph) . I have a 2018 and no such recall. I suspect the recall issue correction was factored into the 2017 and 2018 designs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Interesting!
    I was in a car dealership the other week and questioning their offered warranty. The main guy clearly stated that one of the exclusions, across all manufacturers warranties according to him, was the wiring loom.
    I queried why something like that, which isn't subject to the usual wear and tear, isn't covered after it is designed and built to their specification.
    It just isn't was the reply!

:confused::(:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Wasn't an Italian brand was it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    No :joy: but I share your understanding.

It was a Skoda under a VW warranty.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I learned something new today. ALL Street Twins have a recall for a wiring issue. On Triumph's web site they have a recall page. If you type in your VIN number it will tell you if there are any outstanding recalls on your bike. I typed in my VIN for my 2018 Street Twin and sure enough it has the same recall (Triumph recall number SRAN560).

I called my local dealership and sure enough they said there was a recall and to bring in the bike to fix. (free of charge)

So any Street Twin owner 2016/2017/2018 should look into this for safety reasons.

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/safety-recall-search

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    My 2018 Street Twin is scheduled for the wiring recall fix next week. In the mean time I looked at the issue. Sure enough I could easily see where the headlight frame (relatively sharp edge) is rubbing on the wiring harness. It only rubs when the steering is turned way left. If not fixed it will eventually cut into the wires. My Street Twin has 4,500 miles and it did not look as if it cut into any wiring, just the outer black tape wrap. But eventually it will cut into the wire insulation.

As a temporary fix I wrapped the wiring harness locally with electrical heat shrink insulation (no heat used) and secured it with a wire tie. Just for 1 week until the recall fix is accomplished.

upload_2019-3-16_11-4-22.png

upload_2019-3-16_11-5-9.png

upload_2019-3-16_11-5-44.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chris#21

Chris#21 New Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Skipton
    My 18 reg street cup (approx 600 miles) started to cut out when I turned the handlebars, took it back to the dealers who said 3 wires had broken in the loom, the mechanic said they had repaired the wires and he'd re-dressed the loom making it flatter to the head stock and I've since noticed the rubber grommet between the fork tubes and the bracket has been removed on that side. I know street cups have been recalled in the US and Australia for a similar issue. I've checked my vin number on the sight and it says no recall for my bike!
    Chris

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    The same usually goes for batteries and bulbs.

Although dealers I’ve come across if there’s a fault with a battery will usually replace it to keep good customer relations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Very useful post thankyou, plus the link to the relelvant Triumph webpage, and the same recall applies to the Street Scrambler. I spoke to the dealership this morning who told me it applied to all the new Triumph bikes!!! ...not just the Street Twin/ Street Scrambler. My bike is in next Wed for its first service and they had already included the recall work to be included so at least they were on the ball. On the Triumph site it states the defect was noted on 10th March so presumably if my bike hadn’t been going in for service they would have contacted me...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Triumph has known about this problem ever since the original 2016 model Street Twin came out. They should have fixed the problem when the 2017's came out. But did not. Not even on the 2018's. Also I was never contacted by Triumph. I found out about this problem on this forum.

In the US this is an official national transportation safety board recall. Triumph is required in the US to contact owners. Not sure why they are not being proactive to help customers get this fixed as this is a safety issue.

My Street Twin is my 1st Triumph ever and I have been happy with Triumph until now !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #15 Rich Bryce, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    SB560 Headstock Tidy voluntary safety recall covers Street Twins, Street Cups, Street Scramblers, T120's and I think T100. This supercedes SB556 that covered the same issue on the Streets. I'll check when back at work and post the Vin numbers affected.

It's a simple 10 minute job under warranty irrespective of age and mileage. The original wiring can chafe and cause electrics to short. Any dealer worth their salt is ahead of the game on this and getting customers in to the workshop before the busy season. I've sent out quite a few of personalised emails on this and other service bulletins from Woburn over the last week or so. Triumph have done similar, but often the current owner is not the original owner and in which case not always recorded in the Triumph database.

Phone your local dealer with the last six digits of your Vin number. They'll check, and if necessary submit a warranty claim. The new part will then be with them within two to three working days.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Subject: Headstock Tidy Replace
    Bulletin Number 560
    Models Affected VIN Range Markets Affected
    Street Scrambler From 798290 to 910740 All Markets
    Street Twin From 731919 to 913928 All Markets
    Street Twin A2 Licence Version From 799237 to 831934 All Markets
    Street Cup From 780697 to 896532 All Markets
    Bonneville T100 From 759204 to 935306 All Markets
    Bonneville T100 Black From 765369 to 935286 All Markets
    Bonneville T120 From 739727 to 935318 All Markets
    Bonneville T120 Black From 741136 to 933769 All Markets

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Thanks. I am already scheduled for the recall fix as I noted in a previous post. And BTW to my understanding it is not a 'voluntary' recall. It is a mandatory safety recall at least here in the States.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    On my 1yr old Street Scrambler, (1500 miles), I’ve now checked and see the covering to the wiring loom is chafed/worn through and the internal wiring visible but doesn’t yet appear damaged. It looks like when manoeuvring the bike around the garage and using the steering lock are mostly the cause as it’s the full left lock that crushes and rubs the loom... to save further damage I’ve stopped using the steering lock so use just a disc lock for security...bike in next Wednesday to have it sorted but it’s a bit poor that it’s a problem across the whole classic range and known about for a couple of years... surely Triumph dealers aren’t still allowing new bikes to go out without the ‘fix’ having been done?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    They aren't. The Service Bulletin has alerted dealers so all bikes still in the shop in those vin ranges will have been fixed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    My Street Cup stopped completely about a year ago, after one of the wires - presumably the ignition wire - was worn through.

Simple and quick job to fix but could be nasty if it happened on the move.

• Agree Agree x 4