Street Twin Plastic Chain Guard Query

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by covid-21, Oct 2, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    I bought a bike without a chain guard, and I have just found an OEM one at the right price, maybe sometime in the future I will get a metal one but I have more urgent stuff to get first.

It came without screws and the Triumph OEM parts catalogue only indicate a pair of M6x1.0x12 screws. I am wondering if this really is sufficient. I was expecting some sort of special washer. The chain guard has not arrived yet and it has just dawned on me while typing that maybe it has internal steel reinforcing around the chain guard where the screws go in. Is this correct, are these plastic guards known to be prone to breaking?

Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    Hello, as for the size, I just got that off a parts catalogue I can't be sure it's correct. It's not so much the thread locking I'm worried about it's if the plastic will crack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You could get yourself some sleeve washers, or shoulder washers. They come I n steel and nylon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Have a quick look here, which should tell you exactly what you need.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tiffany Taylor

Tiffany Taylor New Member

Jan 27, 2020
    los angeles, ca
    I recently replaced my plastic one with a metal one. I bought my bike stock and it did not have any washers where the chain guard attaches. The plastic is really thick and after almost 2 years, it did not show any signs of cracking or other wear and tear. The mount holes in the frame are threaded. I did notice that the mounting screws had very large heads that would negate the need for washers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    My bonnie Had washers on. But i have never had a chainguard snap They are pretty robust.
    Joe

• Agree Agree x 1