Street Twin Overheating

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Buellboy, Feb 2, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Buellboy

Buellboy New Member

Feb 2, 2023
    Cheshire UK
    Hi All
    I have a 2017 Street Twin, recently It appears to be overheating, no alarms but stalls when hot and wont start until it cools.
    I haven't seen the fan running even when leaving the bike to tick over, in-fact it will stall if left.
    Im looking to check the the fan and its circuitry, but cant find an electrical drawing or locate the fan relay.
    Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I've also got a 2017 ST but never had that problem and the fan does come on when things heat up. Perhaps you need to buy the relevant Haynes, which will give you the circuit diagram(s) you're looking for.

3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The relay is behind the RHS side panel. I assume you've checked the fuse (4) and it's not blown.

4. bruno_c

bruno_c New Member

Oct 19, 2018
    France
    In my opinion, the alarm light should light up before the engine overheats and stalls.
    It is difficult to explain how you had no alarm.

5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #5 Pegscraper, Feb 8, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    If the high temp warning light isn't coming on and the fan isn't cutting in are you certain the bike is actually overheating or maybe is something else causing the hot stalling/starting issue? If the bike does overheat I would expect coolant to be blown out of the expansion tank.

6. bruno_c

bruno_c New Member

Oct 19, 2018
    France
    I agree with pegscraper.