Street Twin Gear Ratio Change

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by TomMarshall, Sep 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TomMarshall

TomMarshall Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Bristol
    I'd been delving to some of the deeper parts of the internet researching performance mods to upgrade my 2016 Street Twin. I travel along national speed limit roads for 80% of my journey and find it is nearing the top of its' comfort zone. Naturally, it needs a 6th gear, or I need to buy a bike that has a 6th gear, but they're both pretty expensive solutions. Plus I'm rather attached to the little thing...

I found lots to do with air filters and Euro 4 overrides for low-speed manoeuvring, right up to cam changes courtesy of George and co at Tec Parts, but one sprang up that seemed to make sense: change the gear ratios. Now, this thread on the Rat forum died in 2017 but all the chat rang true; make the gear ratios longer. Plus, as I needed a new chain I thought it would be worth having a look at.

Spoke to a motorbike shop near work (Chippenham Motorcycles, ask for Freddie, he is a true gent and would highly recommend) and talked through the many permutations and went for it.

The Street Twin has a stock ratio of 17 teeth front, 41 teeth rear with a 520 gauge chain. No sprocket supplier offered any different options for the Street Twin, however, the measurements for the Thruxton sprockets matched those of the Twin, just with a 525 gauge chain. Agreed we'd give it a punt and made the change to a 39 tooth rear and retaining the 17 tooth front, which should give an extra 6-7mph on each gear.

Verdict: Absolutely. Spot. On.

Where I was umming and ahhing about changing from 4th to 5th at exactly 50mph, 4th now comfortably runs to 56/57mph, leaving 5th as a true cruising gear. The run back from the shop also included a couple of roundabouts and I got held at two red lights. Pulling away from a standstill is no different at all, probably thanks to the low-end torque the Twin possesses.

They also said that I need new tyres, so incoming are a pair of Road Attack 3s.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    I know nothing about the mechanics behind this but agree my ST could do with a 6th or longer gears. I've read in other forums people installing 44 teeth, curios to understand what that would do, also one chap has gone 42/17, thats the opposite direction to you.

If I think about my mountain bike, keep the front gear constant and change the rear to a bigger cog its easier to pedal, smaller cog harder but more speed for given effort, so a 44 tooth sprocket would increase acceleration, a 39 increase top end????????

• Like Like x 1
  3. TomMarshall

Jul 10, 2019
    Bristol
    Bang on, it's exactly the same principle as a push bike: go smaller at the back or bigger at the front if you want longer gears/higher top end but for more effort and vice versa. 42/17 isn't a huge change but will reduce his top speed by a couple of mph and make it accelerate out far too quickly. Unless he's using the bike for zipping around town or racing on tight circuits then it's an unneeded change in my (very) humble opinion. Might as well get himself a 300cc Vespa...

For the ST, changing 1 tooth at the front is roughly the same as changing 2 at the back. Not sure if this applies to other bikes but if you are so inclined you can get fully geeky at the below link. Took me a little while to get my head around but is really informative. Apparently I should top out at 118mph instead of 112...shame it's just started raining as there's a decent run home to test that out!

https://www.gearingcommander.com/

4. TomMarshall

Jul 10, 2019
    Bristol
    I'd highly recommend this change if you're finding yourself pushing out of the comfortable rev range. I've put the sprocket ID numbers below for JT sprockets who Chippenham Motorcycles use. They also seem to come up in all the Haynes manuals too and were really helpful when I spoke with them on the phone.

Front:

OEM replacement: JTF1185RB (the RB means it has a rubber cushion). 17 tooth only, which is OEM standard.

Non-OEM: JTF1186RB, comes in 16 or 17 tooth options. (Go smaller for more acceleration, less top speed).

Rear:

OEM replacement: JTR2020. 41 tooth only, OEM standard

Non-OEM: JTR2014. 37, 39, 42, 46, 47, 50. (Go bigger for more acceleration, less top speed). I went for the 39 tooth.

For the non-OEM sprockets you will need a 525 gauge chain which is considerably more chunky. I'm not too fussed about the slight additional weight gain in comparison to a significant gain in comfort.

5. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Interesting, as I’m a sissy top end stock is more than enough for me, but a tad quicker off the line sounds fun

thanks

6. ivenoidea

ivenoidea Member

Feb 25, 2023
    Essex
    Hi, I dont know if i am too late but i have an 18 tooth 520 front sprocket on my 2018 Street twin.The gearing is excellent,drops revs nicely at higher speeds when cruising and s effortless around the country lanes. From :
    Sprocket center ,USA.Good luck.Pete.

18 TOOTH SPROCKET .jpg

7. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Bizarrely after changing my early cam and gaining both willing revs and power, the original gear ratios seemed more appropriate.
    Gearing up is all well and good but it comes at the price of acceleration, a cam change offers the best of both worlds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Exactly my experience as well:cool:.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ivenoidea

ivenoidea Member

Feb 25, 2023
    Essex
    Hi,i found putting an 18 tooth front sprocket on my Street twin improved things just right.Gained around 5/6 MPH through the gears and don't feel the need for another gear on major roads.two down on the rear would have the same effect.I am in the UK so the sprocket was expensive postage but worth it.From :

18 TOOTH SPROCKET DETAILS 1A.jpg
    Sauntering around the lanes is a breeze.