Street Twin Flat Spot

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nolan 73, Oct 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Nolan 73

Nolan 73 Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Hampshire
    Good evening everyone one I have a 2018 street twin. The other evening riding home I went around a roundabout as I was leaving the roundabout I went to apply the throttle and felt a hesitation not a misfire more like a flat spot. The bike did seem to run a little lumpy but ticked over fine and accelerates well. Did not happen again so thought must of been in my head. Well happened again tonight riding along the bike didn’t seem that smooth but again is it my mind playing games with me. Not sure if it might be damp because of the monsoon conditions the last couple of weeks. But also I’m not sure if I recall a problem with the ht leads arking when damp might of been a different bike?.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Not heard about the HT lead issue, interested to hear if that's an issue.

Do you treat with acf50? I had a problem with the electrics in the headlight that I fixed with some dielectric spray followed by acf50.

Another possibility is the wiring loom recall issue where the loom gets worn when steering. Have you had it fixed?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nolan 73

Nolan 73 Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Hampshire
    Many thanks for the reply. I always spay with acf50 as used all year around but have not done for a while. And the wiring loom headstock recall was done back in June .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If it is just a very occasional problem it could be some dirt in the fuel system causing the problem. Stick a goodly dose of Redex, or similar fuel system cleaner, in the tank and run it for a few days to see if that helps. Could it be that there is rust in the tank? Not too au fait with Street Twins but I would guess that there will be some sort of fuel filter in the system somewhere which may need attention.
    Just a couple of ideas for you to consider!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nolan 73

Nolan 73 Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Hampshire
    Well a update after the flat spot now getting worse I phoned my local dealer. The first guy I spoke was very helpful and mentioned the plug lead caps that there can be a issue with them. Said to phone back to book in well after a hour of trying I managed to get through to the dealer. The next guy I spoke to was not so helpful said he knew nothing of the plug caps and if it was that they had to contact triumph to arrange a warranty claim which could take a couple of days. Fine I said when can I book it in the end of November he says . Great a bike with a horrible misfire every now and then and nothing can be done for a month .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Nolan 73
    You might have to do some shouting. Tell them the bike is cutting and could cause an accident. Speak direct to Triumph and mention your worries of having an accident.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nolan 73

Nolan 73 Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Hampshire
    Many thanks for the reply I was thinking the same would I contact head office ? As it did it today halfway around a roundabout cut out then almost full throttle scared the crap of me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Nolan 73
    Yes mate you have a safety issue there. I had a sprint similar. I contacted Triumph and they sent a test rider to the show room Jack Lilleys. Within a week I got told to go pick up a new bike. Triumph don't want a rider hurt and certainly not when the country will know its a dealer fault.
    Regards
    Joe.