Street Twin Fall Protection, Gearbox

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Notso, Jun 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Just been reading that even a drop when not moving can result in significant damage to the gearbox through the gear shift lever, amongst other things.

I'd like to put some protection on the bike that would at least limit major damage in a low/no speed drop, but really struggling to see what would actually help. I have read mixed reviews on here about the various engine bars and also read that the gear shift is still vulnerable. One guy on another forum has weakened the peg so it would break before the gearbox, someone else has ground a groove in the selector lever so it would bend inwards.

Anyone got any experience or advice about this?

2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Best advice is "don't drop it!" :D:D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Ok, so new question. How do I remove the automatic idiot switch from my brain!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    You don't. And it automatically updates and speeds up as you get older

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Just ordered a CRF450X gear change lever for £20. Apparently they fit and have the trail bike folding peg. Perhaps it would save the gearbox, at least reduce the risk. Well, I will let you know if it fits.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I have no experience, but this might be a good time to look into a pair of frame sliders. Much less intrusive than crash bars. Just my 2 bits.

7. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    #7 Notso, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Thanks, there are some tidy looking R&G frame sliders, they are quite subtle. The R&G engine case sliders are even more subtle and look even easier to fit, just found them at the Sportsbikeshop for £40 each, being low down on the outside of the engine case along with the folding gear shift might be the better option.

8. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    CRF450X gear levers may well fit on, but they aren't going to help on the 2018 Street Twin. They are longer and poke out more, so any folding is negated. I wish there were a folding peg that could replace the standard peg, is the cast metal one shorter? Here are some pics of the CRF450X lever;
    20190614_134247.jpg 20190614_134225.jpg