Street Twin Downshift Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by PaulS, Dec 20, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PaulS

PaulS New Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Alicante, Spain
    Hi, I have a 2017 Street Twin and I have just started having problems changing down from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. Changing up is fine as are the other gears, but pushing down on the gear lever at times does absolutely nothing. I have had to pull away in 3rd on several occasions. It can suddenly just clear and be OK for a bit but the re-appear a while later. Any thoughts?

2. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Hi,
    Are you saying you cannot push the leaver down?

3. PaulS

PaulS New Member

Sep 25, 2022
    Alicante, Spain
    Hi, no, the lever does move down but the gear doesn’t change. It’s got worse so I’ve had to take it into a dealer but they can’t do anything until after the holidays!

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    If it didn't clear itself sometimes I would say check chain tension is correct, do you by chance have a very tight spot on the chain, also oil can make a difference if old or overfilled?
    Have you tried changing gear by hand with the back wheel off the ground and turning slowly?
    Could the lever be loose on it's splines or too high so it catches on the sole of your boot and doesn't self centre?
    Is clutch adjusted correctly, not too much slack in the cable?

• Like Like x 1