Street Twin Brakes

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bad Mojo, Apr 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo New Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Maryland
    Hello all, first time poster here. I am seriously considering the purchase of a Street Twin and I am between an apparently well cared for 2017 model or a 2019 model that I may be able to make a deal on as another rider wants to trade it in.

2019 brought about several design changes to this bike, very notably the front brake caliper becoming a 4 pot Brembo unit that has, from the accounts I have read online, to make quite a positive difference. I know that there are kits out there to put the Brembo unit onto the older units, but they run about $700.00 here in the U.S.
    I don't know that these changes justify the higher price and I am a decent wrench that can do the work myself.

Do these bikes (either year) come from the factory with metal braided brake lines? If not, a much cheaper improvement would be new scintered pads (like the EBC) and the braided hose. Looking for some feedback.
    Thanks in advance...

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy BM, and welcome in :cool::cool:

3. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Welcome from sunny California. I have a 2018 Street Twin. I simply replaced the brake pads with fully sintered EBC HH pads. It did make a difference. Better stopping power for relatively low cost. And easy to install. I really like my 2018. My opinion is the 2019 changes don't justify the price. Also they don't have braided brake lines. My ride below.

upload_2020-4-30_6-47-39.png

upload_2020-4-30_6-41-57.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mizen Run

Mizen Run New Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Belfast
    Hi everyone, newby myself, good to join you all.
    I have a 2017 Street Twin myself and very much considering changing the front breaks. I think it makes sense to upgrade them as the difference in cost to get a new bike far out weighs the cost of the upgrade.

Looking at upgrading the suspension with Maxton rear shocks. Will keep posted when upgrades made.

I seen a vid recently where a lady changed the break pads and claimed an improvement. Stay Safe.

5. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo New Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Maryland
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and the great responses. It is particularly of great interest to know that new pads do make a big difference alone and that the hoses are not the braided type. I have changed to braided on a Suzuki Vstrom and the difference was much more than I would have expected. I imagine those two changes, if done in tandem, would be even greater.

By the way, BigCLM, I thought that I wanted a black one, but I must say that I am more so leaning toward that silver color like yours.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Thanks Bad Mojo. I just thought the silver tank went well with the other similar colors on the bike. Exhaust pipes, injector side covers, engine badges, etc. Plus my last bike was all black and I wanted a change. I have been really happy with the Street Twin. 3 years now and 7,500 miles and it has run great. No issues.

• Like Like x 1