Street Twin battery life

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by brucie286, Oct 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brucie286

brucie286 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Kent
    Hi,

New to the forum and after some help/advice.

Had a brand new Street Twin since August and having battery issues. It's been back to the dealer twice as it keeps going flat/refusing to start. They've now fitted a new battery and it's gone flat after 14 days without use. (It went flat after 6 days the first time).

Is this normal?

It has got the approved Triumph alarm and has been locked in a garage. The dealer said it should have a battery saver linked up to it which I will get for the winter/longer periods of no use, but surely it should last longer than 6 - 14 days?

Thanks, Nick

2. brucie286

brucie286 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Kent
    Thanks. I'll try that.

Thought it was BS, but not had a modern bike with alarm etc.

How long approx would it last between starts/runs?

3. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    No its not normal, even if the bike has an alarm if everything is new which it is, it shouldn't go flat so soon, if it was a older bike with a aftermarket alarm i would expect to have this issue but not with a factory fitted alarm and being new. I have owed my street twin since April and have gone 4 weeks without using it due to being busy, its started straight away with no problems, (i do not have an alarm) i do not see the point of fitting them on bikes but thats my personal opinion, I've always found them to be more hassle than there worth. I will be fitting a battery optimiser over the winter tho, from past experiences they are worth every penny

• Like Like x 1
  4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    if you do buy a lock with an alarm in dont buy the cheapo aldi type on they sell most years. as soon as water gets in past the seal they go off all the time.they look like a big padlock and you can use them normally by turning the key one way but if you turn it the other it arms the alarm, summat like that anyway,lol
    have to agree about bike alarms tho, they can cause so many problems

5. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    I only ever had one bike alarm which came on a used bike i bought, even after getting used to the blummin thing it was always still a pain, simple cleaning jobs and it would start beeping at me even in ferry mode, and god forbid if i wanted to roll it forward 6 inches in the garage to get behind it, it would always turn into a dash into the house to get the keys. battery going flat was an issue once but solved with a new battery and a optimiser. The one thing that annoyed me the most tho was i couldn't just jump on the bike turn the key and ride, there was always faffing with the fob to sort the alarm first and thats if it worked with the first press of the button. absolute nightmare, ever since I've said id never have another one, if someone wants your bike bad enough they will take your bike alarm or not.

6. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    You've gotta love cheap insurance

• Like Like x 2
  7. SamC

SamC Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Hereford
    I did have abit of a rant mind

8. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    My old VFR had an alarm fitted, not Honda type, I can't remember the brand now, it would happily stand outside through the winter, not connected to an optimate, and start up effortlessly after several weeks of inactivity.
    As suggested, I'd return it yo the dealer, not fit for purpose, surely?

• Like Like x 1
  9. brucie286

brucie286 New Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Kent
    Thanks for all the comments guys. Certainly more useful than what I've had from the dealer so far!

I'm going to fully recharge the battery, have a look for a dedicated alarm fuse (and whip it out if poss) and then monitor how many days it lasts. Should be able to work out if it's draining it (as long as it doesn't think it's being knicked)!

The alarmed locks looks like a good option. If the alarm is proven to be issue I think I might ask them to take it off and go for one of them instead. Then "try" and get a refund for the £300.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Carter

Carter Member

May 26, 2016
    Brough
    Have the Triumph alarm on my speed (already on when purchased or I wouldn't have bothered) and if I don't use the optimate it'd be flat every three/four weeks or so.... not sure what amp hour your battery is (if less than mine it'll run down quicker) i wouldn't be surprised if it is your alarm! if it's the same as mine, pulling the fuse ain't gonna work. It just sets the alarm off.

11. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    You could do some self diagnosis
    I am not an electrician, but may be able to offer some basic (maybe wrong) advice :eek:

Use a multimeter, fully charge the battery and leave for 10 mins, check the voltage when the battery is fully charged without being connected.
    Connect the battery to the bike with the alarm active and measure the difference in charge, that value is the draw in voltage.
    IT can be done by measuring the Amps which may be more accurate

If the voltage draw is high, I would guess anything above 3volts as high in standby mode then there is an issue.
    Maybe a wire grounding somewhere alllowing the battery to drain.

You can get a multimeter for under £15 on Amazon and you will always find a use for it later on.
    Watch some vids on YouTube on how to use them proberly, there are some for diagnosing battery faults.
    Link

I have a Datatool Triumph alarm on my bike, never had a problem with false alarms or moving it, so long as I turned it off before touching the bike.
    If the alarm goes off when you touch or move it then it is doing its job.

12. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If it is indeed the alarm and it is the Datatool model rebranded for Triumph, on mine I can hold down both buttons for 10 secs, that puts it in maintenance mode with no draw. It basically totally deactivates the alarm

• Like Like x 2
  13. Carter

Carter Member

May 26, 2016
    Brough
    Thats the badger! Would that shut the alarm down if I took the battery out to? Pain every time I want to take the airbox out to do anything

14. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    It is a maintenance mode so you can remove the battery, the alarm is completely off
    - Hold both buttons for 10secs
    - Alarm beeps once when maintenance mode is turned on
    - To reactivate, turn ignition on and then deactivate alarm before it goes off

This is on my 2010 Speedie with a Triumph branded Datatool

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carter

Carter Member

May 26, 2016
    Brough
    Awesome... learn something new every day. That'll save reaching for the fob every two seconds lol

16. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Same on my tiger but I have to turn ignition on, from off not leave on after a ride, or hazards come on, then press both buttons til single beep then turn off ignition. It deactivates the alarm but keeps immobiliser on and only reactivates when you next turn ignition on, so leave you're gloves off and be ready to press button!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Correct,
    Carter, I omitted the fact ignition needs to be turned into the on position, both buttons for 10 secs, beep, then turn ignition off

Thanks for the clarification Crispey

• Like Like x 1
  18. Carter

Carter Member

May 26, 2016
    Brough
    Roger.... will have a look tomorrow, cheers guys

19. Bobbieboy

Bobbieboy New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Yorkshire
    I have same problem and I have it on good authority that the alarm is OK and that its the bike that is a problem and it's circuitry that is not fully compatible. Had to have the alarm removed. Triumph need chasing as it is a waste of 300+ quid I have spent

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bobbieboy

Bobbieboy New Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Yorkshire
    #20 Bobbieboy, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    PS.... I have same alarm fitted to my tiger 800. Not a moment's problem.
    If you check yank sites this is happening exactly the same over there with the Twin. Not a coincidence I think.