Street Twin Air Intake Covers

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Jimalmighty, Feb 16, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jimalmighty

Jimalmighty Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Dorset
    Hi all,
    Does anybody know if it’s possible to convert the Street Twin intakes / covers to that of the T100? My bike is a 2018 and I’ve currently got the standard covers but anodised in black

any help appreciated

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Hi Jimalmighty

I've considered doing the same thing to my street cup because I want to make it look more like a Bonneville modified into a café racer (each to his own). I also think the T100 version just looks that bit more purposeful.

The short answer is no the covers won't swap; they are subtly different in that the mount screw is in a different place on the T100.

However the Street Twin / Cup / T100 share the same frame and air intake assemblies. So it might be possible but you would have to change the black plastic cover supports that the metal covers mount onto as well. This should be easy, but these black plastic covers (which hide all the injection gubbins to make it look like a carburettored engine) are a different shape from ours.

From the photos and drawings I've been able to find, this is probably because the side covers on the Street Twin / Cup are different from those on a T100. So there's a real risk that having bought new covers and new mounts they'll clash with the side covers or leave an unsightly gap; one could always change the side covers as well but then the cost just keeps mounting up.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe
    Paul

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jimalmighty

Jimalmighty Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Dorset
    Hi Paul,
    That’s helpful, thankyou.
    Do you think the look could be achieved with a wholesale swap out of the throttle body? I presume the T100 unit would be compatible with the engine but not sure on the air box

best regards

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    Hi Jimalmighty

No that wouldn't help. But changing the side panels that hide the electrics on the right side, and the air inlet and battery on the left side, might.

Personally I think the T100 side panels are rather boring and wouldn't want to change them.

As I said the T100 and the Street Twin / Cup use the same chassis, throttle bodies, air box system etc. If you go on the World Of Triumph website (https://www.worldoftriumph.com/collections/bikes) you can find parts drawings and part numbers for our bikes you'll see they're all largely the same.

The metal throttle body covers that we want to change, mount via that 1 screw on to a plastic cover. That cover is itself fixed to the throttle body air inlet system by two or three screws, and also acts as a way of hiding all the less attractive parts of the inlet system.

If you look at your Street Twin, you'll see that the metal covers and the plastic cover supports they're screwed to are shaped to just clear the side panels.

That's where the potential problem lies. T100 side panels don't seem to come as far forward towards the engine as on the Twin/Cup and are a different shape. That's why I say you may have to change the side panels as well all of which gets very expensive just for a slightly better looking inlet cover.

I'm working on the forks on my Cup on Tuesday, so (if I have time) I'll have a go at taking a cover off and see if I've interpreted the drawings correctly.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

Stay safe

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jimalmighty

Jimalmighty Member

Sep 22, 2020
    Dorset
    Hi Paul,
    Yep - understood... many thanks for the thorough explanation. Ultimately I should’ve bought another Bonneville T100 but I knew that a few hundred quid ago. I’m in a good place with the Street Twin now so if this is a mod that’s just a bit too far then that’s ok, I’ll find something else to get my teeth into!