Street Twin 2018 Or 2019 Conundrum ?......

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by Maniot64, May 10, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Maniot64

Maniot64 Member

May 6, 2020
    Greece
    Hi ....I am a recent new member from Greece and at the suggestion of member 'Oldskool' I am posting the question below copied from the 'Newbies' page.....

I'd like to ask for some advice if I may?

'I liked the approach to the engine design of the Street Twin on initial release as regards the emphasis on torque rather than HP. In my view that was a good idea especially as the torque is developed at lowish revs. The recent 2019+ models have more HP with the max torque developed a little higher up. The 2016-2018 models also have a slightly lower seat height which would be an advantage for me! The 'just adequate' front brake I can live with. The added rider modes are useful of course but having been able to cope previously with the 100Nm/74 lb-ft torque of a HD XR1200X on Greece's dodgy asphalt I'm non too fussed not having that facility. Before I commit to a nice 2018 Street Twin rather than a newer (and more expensive) 2019 model I'd welcome any comments on the subject......apols if there is a thread on this conundrum elsewhere on the forum! :cool:'

Many thanks in advance!;)

2. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    #2 BigCLM, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    I have a 2018 Street Twin for all the reasons you mention. Its a Bonnie, not a sport bike. Unless you like to redline the bike the additional HP is of no use. Peak torque at lower rev works well for me. The 2018 has plenty of power. My opinion is to save the money and get the 2018. I have 7,500 miles now over 3 years and the bike has been great. No issues.

I did install better brake pads at low cost (EBC HH fully sintered pads) front and rear. Brakes are now much better. No need to change calipers.

Mine below.

upload_2020-5-10_8-27-45.png

• Like Like x 3
  3. Maniot64

Maniot64 Member

May 6, 2020
    Greece
    Many thanks for your advice Big ! Nice mods on your sickle....knee pads would be my first addition. When I first read about the front brake being a bit lacking I thought, 'well has it got braided hose'.....it has I believe then I thought 'brake pads' .....always the first mod on my 70's 80's bikes! Funny, I always used to use EBC especially their racing pads for doing track days. A cheap and very useful mod Old.....thanks for the heads up! Reassured as regards the torque question and year now! Nice part of the world you live in! My son lives up In Guerneville.....on the Russian River......one day I will visit him! Stay safe.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Thanks. I ride up in the Guernville area quite a bit. Also the wine country. Lots of great rides in northern California. My next door neighbor is Greek. She has lots of parties with all of her Greek friends. All I can say is WOW - the food !

• Like Like x 2
  5. Maniot64

Maniot64 Member

May 6, 2020
    Greece

6. Maniot64

Maniot64 Member

May 6, 2020
    Greece
    I'm actually a limey living in Greece but feel Greek now having been here 10 yrs+ ! Yes, the food is nice and all Greek mothers pass their culinary secrets down through their daughter! I bet its like 'My Fat Greek Wedding' around there sometimes! :cool: :party:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Well Maniot. I thought you would get more answers than this .... We are all allowed out to ride so maybe that’s why the reply’s are a bit sparse ..! I may get out tomorrow if the weather warms up a bit . Yasou !

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maniot64

Maniot64 Member

May 6, 2020
    Greece
    Not to worry! Just been out myself Old .. been to work in the hills above on my trusty Kymco 110 ! She's a great little workhorse having carried bags of cement, gravel and all sorts of stuff up the very narrow roads up there! Its warming up here now...warm south wind from North Africa and 26c! Hope your weather warms up too good enough for a ride !

10151089912922113.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I've got a 2017 Street Twin. Having come from Jap sports bikes it was quite a change. My initial thoughts were the suspension was a bit shit (improved with a change of shocks), braking was barely adequate (I now plan ahead much more and I guess I've adapted to it), tyres were dangerous as soon as the road gets damp (probably not such an issue in Greece) and the engine could do with more power but I agree with BigCLM on that point.
    I bought it new and chopping it in would be a financial blow. So I stuck with the bike and I'm glad I did. I still have 2 Jap sports bikes for those days when I feel all Top Gun ("need for speed" and so on) and the ST for bimbling and taking my time.
    Again I agree with BigCLM, I don't think the recent model updates are worth the cost of a new bike over a slightly older used one. Hope you enjoy your Street Twin :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Maniot64

Maniot64 Member

May 6, 2020
    Greece
    A very welcome and informative post bk , many thanks ! Roads do surprisingly get very wet at times here! 'Enjoyed' a torrential 400km ride down here from Athens one Autumn on a previous HD XR1200X with custom sprung (70kg) 'Bitubo' shocks and truly appreciated the input of good suspension ! (and Pirelli Angel GTs!) I will see how it goes on Triumph's own shocks here first! I have the feeling I will be able to 'cane' a Street Twin here on these surfaces....as ever , (as with the 2016 STR) it will be the choice of rubber that's paramount! Here is the Trumpet I am considering....

https://www.car.gr/classifieds/bikes/view/27974243/

• Like Like x 1