Street Twin 2016 Battery Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tonci, Oct 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tonci

Tonci New Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Croatia
    Hello,

Having issue of quick draining battery on Street Twin 2016.
    I bought motorcycle directly from dealership with only 700kms on. After only three days of not driving and with alarm in winter mode I am not able to crank the engine day after.

There are few test I have completed so far.

1) Battery was charged and left for two weeks out of motorcycle. Keeping 12.61V after 15 days with no issue. Cranking engine. perfect.
    2) Battery was also tested in professional store for cranking Ampers . Perfect.
    3) After engine run on mininum rpm's and high rpm's I measured stable charge voltage of 14.4V on battery poles through whole range all the time. Rectifier it seems work just fine.
    4) Testing drain currency:
    • Alarm in winter mode. Disconnecting negative pole on the battery and connecting Amper meter (digital multimeter) showing 33mA currency.
    • Fixing back negative pole and pulling out each fuse one by one. After taking out fuse position number 8 , Instrument and alarm, 15A currency drain drop below 0 mA. Pulling out all other fuses had no effect to drain currency.
    Going back to technical data from Datatool alarm where it claims consumption of only up to 2.5 mA in armed condition.
    Checking also Datatool Instruction manual which claims consumption of 250 micro Ampers in winter mode.

Considering all of this , I only can conclude that either alarm or instrument drain much more current then it should be. On the other side some moto forums consider consumption of up to 30mA not critical but they say that normally should be around 10mA due to instrument clock, memories.

Please , if anyone has Street twin to check if currency draw of 33mA is normal ( alarm was off, winter mode) and if not what should I do as a next step?

P.S. I still did not try to deactivate alarm with original plug as I was afraid if I would need Triumph data tool to activate alarm later on .
    Should I have any problem if I fill the plug to deactivate alarm once alarm is in winter mode and later return it back to standard alarm conditions by returning 12 pin connector again?

Thanks.

2. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    33mA does seem a little high compared with the specs
    Imagine you battery is 10Ah.
    Using 33mA constant would give you 10x1000/33 hours = 303 hours
    or about 12 days from full charge.
    You are probably best to simply hook up a trickle charger for when you
    put the bike away. 33mA against 2.5mA is quite a difference.

I would get it checked out at your local dealer. Should not cost a lot.

3. Tonci

Tonci New Member

Aug 27, 2018
    Croatia
    Thanks Neale, but the closest official dealer is over 400km away so I would try to really check all options before I make this trip. Thanks anyway.