765 Street Triple Ticking - Annoying

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Greg Fyans, Oct 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Greg Fyans

Greg Fyans Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Glasgow
    Kind of cross-posting here, there is a thread in the technical help (that someone else made about their 675 ticking) but I don't know if everyone checks that forum.

Here's a video of the ticking noise I'm talking about, it's super annoying. I can hear it above all other noises, even on the motorway.

Is this normal or do I need to get something checked?

It doesn't start happening immediately, but say after 10-15 minutes I start to hear it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Please dont take offence but Have you checked the oil level, when did you last have it serviced?
    Sounds to me like not enough oil in her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Greg Fyans

Jan 7, 2018
    Glasgow
    Had it serviced last week. It started after about 2500 miles. It's probably totally normal, but I just can't un-hear it. It just annoys me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    That could be an exhaust gasket or small inlet gasket leak , just a small possibility . As would sound similar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Hippo-Drones

Hippo-Drones Noble Member

Mar 4, 2018
    West Sussex
    cam chain?

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Greg Fyans

Jan 7, 2018
    Glasgow
    Seen this mentioned a few times, I'll have to look into this. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to maintenance, but I'll need to learn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Greg I totally agree it would annoy me too. My suggestion is (however painful) to go back to the dealer and let them listen and advise. Despite it just been serviced, still check your oil level to be sure. And as mentioned above it could be a few things. I did my 10000km service earlier than due and when I got my ST back it also had a similar kinda annoying ticking noise that I only picked up a week later. I checked everything I could and narrowed it down to somewhere upper part of the motor, went back to my dealer and asked them to listen, they told me not to worry it could be and probably is the timing chain auto adjust between the next adjustment and that it will settle in due course. I didn't like this advice but had no choice but to cover some distance whilst monitoring it. Fortunately mine did go away.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LEE WILLIAM

LEE WILLIAM New Member

Oct 16, 2018
    Singapore
    Hi there, my STR 2014 also making loud rattling noise when the bike was stoned cold like being parked for a few days. Upon firing up loud metallic rattle noise can be heard and soften down after maybe 3-4 secs. Before this the operational noise was quite loud as like a diesel engine.

Had the cam chain tensioner replaced and it became like a Honda.

Fast forward to about 1 yr (15,000km) later I'm getting the operational ticking noise (softer) similar to yours and occasionally loud metallic noise upon cold starting which I suspect its the same issue again or its part & parcel of STR.

As what you've mentioned it's difficult to unhear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. mikwehttam

mikwehttam Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Yup, as others have mentioned, it's most likely the cam chain tensioner. Unfortunately, when it's adjusting, it doesn't always move to the next notch completely and fully seat. I don't think it's causing any harm, but it sure is annoying. Usually it goes away the next time the cam chain adjusts, which is exactly what happened to mine. Because it's really just an annoyance, rather than a malfunction, it's hard to get the dealer to replace it. Several owners have settled for swapping to a manual cam chain tensioner as a permanent solution, but that obviously requires more work on your part to keep it tightened manually.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Greg Fyans.
    Do check around your headers as it could be a small blow on the exhaust. But probably will turn out to be chain tensioner self adjusting.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tim morton

tim morton New Member

May 17, 2017
    suffolk
    mine has the same ticking and was serviced on 2nd may 2019, mines done 5000 miles and had 3 service stamps, on the service sheet i asked dealer to check cam chain tensioner as when engine is hot and under no load ie 30mph 4th gear it seems to rattle quite bad, and as the warranty runs out later this month (MAY) the dealer recorded my concerns on service sheet.
    Honestly it annoys me so much i am thinking of selling her, after 10 yrs of owning fireblades with no rattles its annoying.
    The bikes saving grace is decatted header pipes into an sc end can with down blipper and fueling module. Heaps of fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Zylek

Zylek New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Switzerland
    Had the same ticking noise. It was more noticeable on the right side of the engine. It started somewhere in Germany when I had a short trip with buddies. Consulted a local dealer and they said it is normal.

Ended with an engine failure on a freeway in France after another 1kkm. The engine lost power and I could swear there was some rumble going on, though I was with earplugs in. The oil level was good all the time, as I am kind of religious when it comes to oil. Now the dealer said crankshaft / engine bearing on cylinder 2 had failed and sheers/pieces of it are all around in the engine. Triumph wants to rebuild the engine, though cost of labour is really high in Switzerland. The bike is from 2017 and has 10kkm, so now only 1month of warranty is left and at least another 3 weeks would be consumed by the repair. I love how the bike sounds and rides, but would never get rid of reliability concerns:-(

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    You know what that engine has a flimsy balance chain and sprocket that is wafer thin. All the race boys remove them. As when the engine is punished they just shatter and cause lots of damage. It is on the right side of the engine and that bike runs fine without it. Watched my boy remove them a few times now so maybe its worth checking.
    Regards
    Joe.

14. Zylek

Zylek New Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Switzerland
    The rapair took 3 months instead of 3 weeks. Got it back today. Turned out to be valve timing issue. Head, some valves, single piston were replaced. The bottom part seemed to be fine. Either I misunderstood a service advisor, due to my poor German or the guy was describing issue with some other motorbike. Ether way 3 months is wayyyyyy to long!

• Agree Agree x 1