765 Street Triple Rs - Rear Suspension Preload Not Adjustable?

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Maciej, Oct 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    Hi guys,
    do you know why Triumph claims the rear suspension (shock) spring preload is not rider adjustable in the 2020 RS?
    It's standard: adjuster and locking ring so why the owner should not adjust it if he has the tool and knowledge?

2. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
  3. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Set up sag just like any other bike, let the lawyers that wrote that in the manual kiss the pavement hard.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Adjust as you see fit if you know what you are doing, it's a free world! ;)

Just be aware that you really only have an effective adjustment on the pre-load of +/- 5 to 6mm, if you are going much beyond this you really need a change of spring weight, but generally if you can get sag right within 5-6mm of turns just dial in sport settings on the adjusters & the bike will be right for fast road or track use. :cool:

I did do a set up guide somewhere on this forum from when I had a 765RS, I will see if I can find it & post a link.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    Many thanks for very useful links!
    I was trying to set the SAG correctly but I found it difficult, especially at the front. I weight around 91 kg and I had to turn preload adjusters fully in and I'm still out of recommended by you Road setting of static SAG (>25 mm). Additionally I found out that's harder to turn now.
    It seems to me that standard springs are too soft for me.
    But on the other hand I see that you wrote that your weight was 16 stones (around 100 kg) and you probably managed to set it correctly - did you have harder springs?

8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I didn't go for harder springs, but I used more than the 5-6mm of spring compression adjustment, at that time I wasn't aware that this was all you should use.
    It was Race Labs Suspension guy when setting up my RSV race bike that told me that you should only use 5-6mm more or less preload on the threaded adjuster, on the 765RS I had my sag set in the middle of the 'road' range 35mm front & 43mm rear & found it handled very well for the road.
    I didn't take the 765RS on track but I am sure it would have been a little soft for track use on those settings.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    Yeah, it makes sense to use +/-5-6mm on preload adjusters. More of that means that springs are not correct for the rider's weight probably.
    I think that fork springs in 765RS are very progressive - very soft at the beginning and harder later - static SAG in my case, when the preload adjusters were almost fully out (on the soft side) was more than 20mm.

• Like Like x 1