Street Triple 675 2013 Reg

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Craig Lord, Apr 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Craig Lord

Craig Lord New Member

Apr 14, 2022
    B16 8GY
    Good evening, I am posting this question for my sons benefit. He has a Street Triple 675, which he's owned now for approx 5 years. The machine however, has now developed an fault that, as yet no one can offer a solution (even the Triumph dealership). It has been with 4 different bike techs but did not show up any fault either with diagnostic testing or trying to 'set the fault'.
    The issue he has is that occasionally the bike when stalled or gets hot fails to restart using the start button. The bike will bump start when this happens but he cannot trust the bike on long rides now as he feels if it stalls on a relatively flat road he's goosed. The bike starts perfectly well when garaged and the fault only occurs if he stalls it or on occasion when he rides it in really hot weather?
    Triumph wanted £100 per hour and could not guarantee success so hopefully someone somewhere may have had similar issues that maybe able to offer a solution.
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    Thanks
    Craig

• Like Like x 1
  2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Do you mean that the engine cuts out when he's riding the bike or that it won't start again after being stopped for a while when he's out for a ride ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Does the bike turn over but not fire up?
    Try opening the fuel filler cap, the breather pipe can clog up causing fuel starvation.
    Weak spark plugs could be another cause.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Craig, I can't help with your sons problem but hopefully I can help him keep it ;) please take your postcode out of your details that way no-one will be able to find the knackered STriple and help themselves :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Craig Lord

Craig Lord New Member

Apr 14, 2022
    B16 8GY
    Hello, yes the bike fails to start again if he stalls it. It rides ok. Just seems some form of electrical issue to me but i know nothing about this to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Craig Lord

Craig Lord New Member

Apr 14, 2022
    B16 8GY
    I would take out the postcode but cant seem to delete it, its not important anyway as its a made up one..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Craig Lord

Craig Lord New Member

Apr 14, 2022
    B16 8GY
    I'll pass this onto him and thanks, but im guessing without speaking to him he'll have tried quite a few things now. I'll see if he's done this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Good idea. Also check the battery is getting charged when the engine is hot. Just need a simple multimeter. Should be about 14 volts measured at the battery with the engine running.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I would strip and clean the starter motor. Also check the wiring to the starter solenoid for loose or corroded connections

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Craig, you need to be a bit more precise, sorry.
    If he presses the starter button and nothing happens, try squirting some electrical contact spray into the starter switch. I had a problem with the switch on a 675 Street Triple I used to own. Otherwise it could be the clutch switch or side stand switch - If it is electrical.

Edit: Also check the earth to frame connection is tight.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Craig Lord

Craig Lord New Member

Apr 14, 2022
    B16 8GY
    Thanks, i'll send him this and see if he's already had this done

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Craig Lord

Craig Lord New Member

Apr 14, 2022
    B16 8GY
    Thanks, i'll send him this and see if he's already had this done

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Craig Lord

Craig Lord New Member

Apr 14, 2022
    B16 8GY
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Craig, just seen your post, this issue has occurred on numerous Street Triple 675s, I even had one myself years ago that had identical issues, I traced the fault to the starter switch assembly on the handlebar, when I then stripped the switch housing (on the handlebar) it had corrosion on the terminals, after thoroughly cleaning off the corrosion and applying electrical grease the problem never came back. I did however make sure I avoided getting it excessively wet when cleaning the bike. It was apparent on inspecting the switch gear that a combination of the British weather and water ingress had caused the corrosion and subsequent failure. The issue is more common than you may think.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Craig Lord

Craig Lord New Member

Apr 14, 2022
    B16 8GY
    Thanks, much appreciated. I'll pass this onto my son for his attention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Tom lord

Tom lord New Member

Apr 21, 2022
    Rochdale
    I have tried the kill switch, no corrosion.
    I have tested the battery to see if its the R&R, it is all ok apart from when it is running i can pick up a voltage from the frame/screws.
    The issue only happens intermittently when stalled accidently. I press the starter and it ticks over before dying until it just clicks. Previously it has started after waiting but now it needs bumping. Once started again it is fine. No garage or triumph know what it could be

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Craig Lord

Craig Lord New Member

Apr 14, 2022
    B16 8GY

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Craig Lord

Craig Lord New Member

Apr 14, 2022
    B16 8GY
    Hopefully buddy someone out there may have had the exact same problem and can pinpoint the fault to save you time and money taking it numerous places.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #20 Eldon, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    I have an 09 675R that used to belong to my mate.
    In 2018 we went to thd IOM manx GP and took a brand new spare battery as a precaution for it as it had similar symptoms to what you described. Just prior to sailing we changed the starter solenoid, which normally worked perfectly well, but just in case and never experienced the problem again

Ironically we met another guy on the campsite who had a real problem (in his eyes). He was on a Bandit 600 and the battery had failed ( bizarrely and unbelievably the same model as our spare) and left him no time to resolve, ferry was 5 or so miles away and then what at the other end

I said well it just so happens we have a brand new bike battery in the van

Ooh do you want to sell it says he?

Its not mine but it looks like we don't need it anymore so I think my mate will let it go, bring your bike up and I'll pop the kettle on

He was such a happy bunny and had served Queen and Country for many years at a significant cost, you're very welcome Sir and thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1