Street Triple 1st Gear Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tony Button, Dec 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tony Button

Tony Button New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Australia
    Hi, I'm a new Triumph owner; just bought a 2016 Street Triple ABS (at a good discount !) I have an occasional issue with selecting 1st gear when, for example, slowing down for a red light. I can come down through the gears to Neutral, but the bike won't go into 1st. I can resolve this by releasing and engaging the clutch, after which I can select 1st. This happens maybe 1 time in 4. The dealer tells me this is a common 'feature' of the Triple and will happen less often as the bike is run in. Has anyone else experienced this and is it something I should try to get fixed while the bike is still under warranty ? Thanks very much for any advice; I'm returning to motorbikes after a 7 year absence and need all the help I can get !

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Hi.

Clutch cable adjustment? That problem does not come under the category of a "Feature" Who's the dealer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I used to have the same issue with my Tiger 955i (similar motor/gearbox) and it was caused by too much slack in the clutch cable. After adjustment (took out most of the slack) it worked perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mark scarrott

mark scarrott Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2015
    burntwood
    Hi

I had this problem with my first street triple. I was at a set of lights and could not get 1st gear with cars flying past me which unnerved me as I had just come back to biking.
    Triumph Wolverhampton as was gave me a new bike. This was similar in this function and had a similar problem with first gear.
    I was then advised it was the lining up of the "dogs" (part of the gear box apparently) and it was fine.
    I rang triumph and they admitted this was a common fault on standard street triple but not the R as this had a slightly different clutch.
    I now have the RX and this is fine as it has same clutch as the R.
    I hope one of the suggestions from the guys on this forum helps you, but I think you will find you need to pump the clutch a couple of times to help this

Mark

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Change the engine and filter as this will help, also make sure all the shift linkage bolts are tight :)

6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Engine oil ? :):)

7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Yes as fresh 10/40 syn oil :D

8. Tony Button

Tony Button New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Australia
    Thanks very much for all the replies. I'll try adjusting the clutch cable and see if that resolves the problem and talk to my local dealer about the engine oil. I have to say it's shaken my faith in Triumph as a quality product. Nobody would accept a problem like this with a new car. I may end up giving it back.

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    New clutch will have more drag exacerbated by a slack cable. If the cable is not correctly adjusted the clutch will not free off sufficiently to engage gear as it should. Aim for about 2mm gap at the lever max. Check your handbook and err slightly tight.

10. Tony Button

Tony Button New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Australia
    Thanks for your reply. As you say, the handbook has some guidance as to correct clutch cable adjustment. It's not clear to me why, if the clutch cable is the problem, this should only happen when changing from Neutral down to First. Why doesn't this happen on all downward changes ? Since Sprinter asked, the dealer is in Melbourne, about 600 kms away across Bass Strait. I'm in Hobart, Tasmania, which is motorcycling heaven. Great roads, no traffic and cooler than the mainland, so you can wear appropriate protective clothing without roasting. Worth consideration for a motoring holiday !

11. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Never good riding in hot weather, my Su rides a 675 R and she had a similar prob but this was just a loose bolt on the front gearbox arm.

12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The underlying point is that clutch adjustment doesn’t cure it them you do have a problem to pursue - hopefully under warranty.

13. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    deffo ball in dealers court you bought bike in good faith via a dealer as you get piece of mind,my triple had neutral selection probs when warm now far better oil change and best thing keep bike off sidestand,buy a rear stand cheap like warrior under £50 or get abbastand best buy and essential for triples imho.

14. Tony Button

Tony Button New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Australia
    Thanks for all your input. As some of you have noted, on a new bike this is the dealers/manufacturers problem so I have raised a case with Triumph UK and I'll post their response when it arrives.

• Like Like x 3
  15. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Has it got standard levers?

16. Tony Button

Tony Button New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Australia
    Yes, the bike is completely standard. I emailed Triumph UK who have passed my complaint on to Triumph Australia. When I get a response (and hopefully a resolution) I'll post it on this site.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tony Button

Tony Button New Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Australia
    Hi, folks. Triumph Australia arranged for my local dealer to test the bike, who concluded that the gearbox was performing to specification. The issue with the inability to engage 1st gear when downshifting from neutral is not considered a fault and I was advised to punch down hard from 2nd to engage 1st gear when, for example, approaching a red light. I could then engage Neutral if I wish when the bike is stationary. (of course, I don't bother) While I still consider the gearbox is faulty, this approach works fine and, as I am otherwise very happy with the bike, I will accept this. Thanks again to everyone who offered advice and for your patience with a newbie !

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I posted to this guy and asked if he had any idea whats up;-

Just look for the forum link.