Scrambler Street Scrambler Screen

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by JD_Lincs, Mar 7, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JD_Lincs

JD_Lincs Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    LO All, After a round trip of 76 miles - a cold and windy 76 miles - t'other day I decided it was time to look for a better screen due to being completely shagged when I got home and pretty much incapable of anything until two days later (I have some health issues).

I have the Triumph standard fly screen fitted - I never liked the look much, but it does seem to do what it says on the tin and keep the majority of winged splatters off my lid. Wind protection is not its forte.

I did look around at the time of purchase (2020) and have done so again now and just can't seem to find anything that would fit the bill, and doesn't look like a riot shield.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Dart Classic and if it may be better than the standard Trumpet screen. I know it won't be the ultimate wind protector - I'm just looking for a bit more than what I currently have.

https://www.dartflyscreens.co.uk/products/triumph-street-scrambler-classic

I was looking at the Triumph Touring screen but only read bad things about it. Whichever one I get (if any) I'll probably be removing it in summer and refitting for winter/spring winds - here by The Wash we get some pretty nasty, gusty ones.

I did look at the Puig and while it looks okay, I have doubts if it will be any better than the one I have.

Cheers.

DSCF2520.JPG

2. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
  3. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    #3 JD_Lincs, Mar 7, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Thanks - looks okay and reasonable price, but I've had a lot of problems with Chinese products from Amazon and poor customer service despite promises, so I'm wary.

Edit - I decided to order it, at 40 Euro it's worth a try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I had the identical idea. Just a cheap try!

• Like Like x 1
  5. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    #5 JD_Lincs, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
    Just as a postscript - the screen arrived today but it wasn't the clear one I had wanted, but was painted silver. Not only was it painted silver, but the rear of the screen was covered in overspray, with lots of fingerprints on it.

Nevertheless, considering the cost, I decided to keep it and sprayed it satin black. The fittings are not ideal and I'm a bit concerned that it may scratch or or otherwise damage the finish on the headlight mounting alloy.

I'll also need to find some appropriate size washers for attaching the mounts to the headlight (the mounting point where the securing bolt goes is recessed, where the screen mounting area is flat) - this screen is probably not intended for the Street Scrambler (it says T100 & T120 on theproduct page to be fair). I'm sure I can make it work just fine, though.

I forgot how good the bike looks without a screen - I'll be doing some rides with it "au Naturel" this week and see just how much of a difference the standard Triumph flyscreen made. Or not. Then I'll fit the new screen next weekend and see how it performs.

SS-light.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. JD_Lincs

Aug 2, 2020
    Here
    Okay, having just done my spring clean and acf50 dose I thought I'd take a few snaps with this screen fitted.

It is definitely an improvement over the Trumpet flyscreen, but I couldn't say it was anything special - about what you would expect at the price.

PS: I didn't notice any difference between using the Triumph flyscreen and not using it as far as riding is concerned, only the amount of bugs on my visor. So I guess it does what it say on the tin - no more, no less.

DSCF2626.JPG

DSCF2632.JPG

DSCF2633.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Found this one on the tube, colour matched to the tank which I rather like the look of......

8. Keep Moving

Keep Moving New Member

Jan 23, 2023
    Victoria BC Canada
    I have the Dart Classic.It works well at keeping most of the wind off my chest, I'm 6'. The full force hits my helmet just above the chin, not a problem as the Nolan is aerodynamic. The Dart is a nice compromise between function and looks. I've had it since 2019 with 24,000 Kilometres riding on highways and back roads, summer and winter, yes with rain!

Scrambler Front.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. docpwj

docpwj New Member

May 28, 2023
    UK
    Hey. What’s the plastic box pannier you have there? Looks perfectly utilitarian. thanks

10. Keep Moving

Keep Moving New Member

Jan 23, 2023
    Victoria BC Canada
    It’s a Pelican case, H 13” 33mm x L19” 48mm x D 7” 18mm. I had just bought the side bracket for the 2020 Scrambler leather bag (Triumph said it wouldn’t fit my 2018 but it does) when the case came up used. Drilled holes and fitted it with rubber grommets to be waterproof.
    Keeps my stuff dry at a cheap price.
    PS I’m still using the Dart fly screen. Works great and looks good. Smoke colour, excellent quality.

IMG_3443.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jimbo1950

Jimbo1950 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2022
    Scotland
    I fitted a Dart Piranha flyscreen https://www.dartflyscreens.com/en-g...ler/products/triumph-street-scrambler-piranha to my 2019 Street Scrambler. It certainly catches a fair number of flying beasties but not all, I still go home after a run at this time of year with a helmet spattered with dead bugs. I can't say it seems to do much for cutting down on wind blast but the Scrambler is not a bike for blasting along the motorway at 80mph +, pootling round country lanes is more it's natural habitat.