Street Scrambler Recall

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Stephen Warrington, Dec 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stephen Warrington

Stephen Warrington New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Cardiff
    Finally got to take my new 2018 (ex demo) Street Scrambler out for a decent ride today. The engine management light came on after a brief stop after about 40 miles. Called in to a nearby Triumph dealership and they checked it out and said all was well and the light was now out. They also gave it a full health check and all was well there too. 40 miles later down the road and it came on again! From what I can gather the 3 times cold to hot and back to cold cycle should sort it out. I'll give that a try and see what happens.
    The dealer also mentioned that there is a recall currently active. Something to do with the way cables are routed around the headstock. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Stephen, and welcome in :cool::cool: can't help you with your questions but if you wait a short while someone will come along with the answer, I'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Welcome aboard Stephen, hope you enjoy the forum and get your steed sorted asap, as above, there'll be someone in the know along shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome..... I had a similar problem with the engine management light coming on my LT the day I got it. Dealer sorted it on the same day. It was something to do with a sticking valve on the exhaust (never really understood why), but touch wood never had any problems in the past 2.5 years.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 4
  5. Stephen Warrington

Dec 4, 2018
    Cardiff
    Thanks for the welcome guys.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome aboard. All Streets are on recall for the headstock tidy. It's no big deal. Call you dealer and get them to submit the claim and get you booked in at first service. I had mine done a few weeks back.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Stephen Warrington

Dec 4, 2018
    Cardiff
    Thanks Rich

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stephen Warrington

Dec 4, 2018
    Cardiff
    I bought the bike from Plymouth Triumph. Do I have to take the bike there for the recall work or can I use my local Triumph dealer, Bevans in Cardiff.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Stephen and welcome in ! Im pretty sure that you would be able to take it to your local Triumph dealer for the recall, Rich can confirm this ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Stephen and welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Hi Stephen. Recall can be done at any dealer mate.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Can't help with the question Stephen, but welcome to the forum.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Oldrookie

Oldrookie Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Avon, IN
    Welcome.

The issue is how the clutch cable is routed. It causes the clutch cable to rub over the wiring harness during normal riding. This eventually wears through the protective covering at the contact point causing the wiring harness to fail.

The recall replaces the cable tidy so that the clutch cable runs at a different angle.

The issue has resulted some wiring harnesses being replaced under warranty.

I loosened the cable tidy and used a zip tie to around the cable and the fork tube to hold them apart until I can get to a dealer (no easy task around here.)

Joel

• Like Like x 3
  15. Stephen Warrington

Dec 4, 2018
    Cardiff
    I bought the bike from Plymouth Triumph. Do I have to take the bike there for the recall work or can I use my local Triumph dealer, Bevans in Cardiff.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stephen Warrington

Dec 4, 2018
    Cardiff
    Thanks to all you guys that have responded. My warning light issue seems to have solved itself and I'll get the bike booked in for the recall soon.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oldrookie

Oldrookie Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Avon, IN
    In the U.S. any dealer can do the work--I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that the same is true in the U.K.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Welcome to the Asylum you should fit right in
    To keep the inmates happy we will need photos..
    _20180804_022754.jpg _20180210_121406.jpg Tucker

• Like Like x 1
  19. DaveJC

DaveJC Member

Dec 5, 2018
    norfok
    Hi Stephen, Regarding the recall. I guess it is the same problem as the Street Twin - ie cable routing at the headstock. If so the recall number is 556. It is a 30minute job and involves fitting a small clip.