Street Scrambler Heat Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RacingToaster, Jul 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. RacingToaster

RacingToaster New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Berlin
    Hi folks, just got a new Street Scrambler. There is just one minor issue though, it’s hot. Like really, really uncomfortably hot. Hotter than a Ducati undertail pipe hot.

The issue is mostly at low speeds and pottering about town or if I ride it for an extended amount of time, the exhaust heat shield appears to do it’s job pretty well, its the engine that’s seriously toasty. Given I haven’t heard anyone else mention this and I can't find anything on the internet about it, it makes me suspect something is up. I didnt see the issue on the test bike, but it was just a 30 minute spin and most of it was wide open roads or auto-bhan and almost no city traffic. The dash isn’t throwing any errors.

Now it might just be a new set of wheels bikeacondria, so if I'm being crazy please tell me, but it doesn’t seem right.

2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Hiya

Ive just put a weslake cat replacement on my missus street scrambler, not much heat from the exhaust now buddy.

eBay price of 199 pound.

3. Dafrarse

Dafrarse New Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Tyneside

4. Dafrarse

Dafrarse New Member

Jul 28, 2018
    Tyneside
    Don’t worry mines the same

5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Can't say I've found exhaust heat a problem to be honest, even in traffic when the fan cuts in. A had a 1198SP a few years back with the underseat chimneys and that was like sitting on a 3kw fan heater.

6. RacingToaster

RacingToaster New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Berlin
    Hey folks,

Thanks for the answers. I’ll look into cat replacement, but I live in Germany and TUF regulations are...very... German. It might actually just be less painful to deal with the heat, but worth a thorough investigation at the very least.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    If the bikes running OK, throwing no error codes and the fan isn't permanently on I shouldn't worry about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Lots of people jump to doing a decat and it's not always what you want to do or the answer to the problem, though it will reduce the temperature of the exhaust near your right knee.

I'm with Pegscraper on this one though; as long as there are no error codes, and the fan is cutting in and out rather than coming on and staying on then it's probably ok and it's just a consequence of the hot weather we've been having.

I'm not sure what you've ridden before, but the scrambler unit is quite compact, has a fairly small radiator and doesn't have a fairing to disperse the hot air back and under the bike and - in Scrambler configuration the cat heat will add to that warmth coming up straight at you when you are going slow or stopped.

As long as nothing is broken, think of it as a bonus ffor the periods of the year that aren't summer :)

9. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Try wrapping the exhaust with exhaust heat wrap , you could wrap behind the heat shields so it’s out of site, I’ve not used it but for me I would go down this route first before a de-cat.

10. RacingToaster

RacingToaster New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    Berlin
    Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated. For future reference I'll update this thread with anything useful I find out about mitigating the heat

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    I’ve used TuneECU to increase the fuelling by 5% at tick-over (and just above) on my Speed Twin which keeps the engine a little cooler when idling in traffic. Fan comes on less often since making the alteration.