Street Scrambler Cold Startup Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Robert Castledine, Mar 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Castledine

Robert Castledine New Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Hi has anyone experienced cold starting problems with the Street twin range, On cold startup my bike sometimes splutters going up the road and feels like there no fuel going through to the engine, when warmed up it's fine. The dealership has had it in now 5 times and have replaced plug caps, HT leads, inlet seal rubbers, checked the valve clearances and sprayed silicon electrical spray on all the connectors to no avail. Now have been told by the factory that I have to leave it for 3 minutes to warm up before I set out. What kind of bike has Triumph made? after all I here for the ride and not a splutter up the road. Anyone got any suggestions, have been told to buy a booster plug to richen up the fueling but at £120 I'd rather Triumph sort it out as I spent £9200 on a new bike. Thanks.

2. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Take it back to the dealers, sounds like its "not fit for purpose".
    Suggest they fit the booster plug to resolve??:eek:

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    That's not right - my 6 year old Bonnie had no trouble starting yesterday and certainly does not "splutter" up the road.
    You should not need to fit a booster plug to rectify anything and if Triumph are telling you to then that to me is an admission that something is wrong and needs to be fixed!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Have dealer tried throttle body balancing?

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I usually leave it running on the second stage of the "choke" while I put helmet and gloves on - that should be long enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Good old Euro 4 weak mix!;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    What petrol are you using? Maybe try another brand if you fill up at the same place most of the time. btw I have a Street Twin and often use the Scrambler from work, and ride out with guys on various from the 900 range, and haven't had any cold starting problems.

8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Get it Dyno tuned !! Did my 2009 America, when it had 7,000 odd klms on it, I didn't need to use cold choke start unless it was really cold and it ran fine after only 30 to 60 seconds of running, the same is true now I have 905cc big bore kit and had it Re-tuned on Dyno last week. To suit the new setup.

Cheers capt

• Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    When you try to start the bike (when you're turning the engine over) do you touch the throttle at all ?

10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Same here on the old Bonnie SE, but with the modern bikes I just switch on, press the starter, no throttle, and leave it running while I put my helmet on, then usually sit on the bike so its upright while a put on my gloves - so about three minutes warm up I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Robert Castledine

Mar 1, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Hi, thanks for the replies, I don't touch the throttle and it ticks over great, it's just when I start off it splutters up the road, did ask if it's a faulty oxygen sensor in the airbox but they don't think so but they haven't replaced it to find out. Iv'e had the throttle bodies balanced had the ECU checked, had a different fuel map on it to see if that cured it, silicon sprayed the connectors, had plug caps HT leads inlet rubber seals replaced and valve shims checked. As a fuel injection model it has a automatic choke with no way to enrich the fueling.
    Now contacted Triumph themselves to either fix it, replace it or money back as I agree it's not fit for purpose. Fully synthetic oil shouldn't need to circulate for 3 minutes to warm up the engine but I know what your saying.
    I have never had this problem on my old Suzuki SV650 or my Triumph RS Sprint 955i which I still own and ride, both bikes are fuel injection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    C'mon DD, nobody would admit to not pulling the knob (sorry fuel enrichment device) prior to a cold start???? Would they????:blush::blush:

13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The cold start control had no effect on fuelling, it just increases tickover in 2 stages.

14. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    More fuel = Faster revs........ maybe, don't know.
    Put petrol in. It goes!:mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    I agree DD!
    Since reflashing my Bonneville with a Triumph Twin Power tune, it will now start without using the choke/fuel enrichment device whatsoever , but I couldn't pull away without it being on for a moment to give it a bit more fuel.:confused:

16. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Just a bit of advice here, be sure to check all your grounds as well as the electrical connections. Be sure to start at the battery. After all, it's free advice. Good luck.

17. Robert Castledine

Mar 1, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    Lol like the one about pulling your knob out, now told Triumph to pull their finger out. I'll wait and see and let you all know, thanks guys.