Scrambler Street Scrambler Bad Wire Routing And Damage, Check Your

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Walko, Apr 1, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    Hi, posted in general https://www.thetriumphforum.com/thr...r-street-twin-recall.26031/page-2#post-530953

if you have a Street Scrambler 2019 or newer (i don´t know if it´s applicable too for 2017-2018), check this:

SS, when you turn the handlebar to RIGHT, press and will cut the sleve and internal wire cables. You will notice that the LH control cable have some play if you turn to left, center, but not to right, and that´s the issue. With km´s you will get damage (and if you turn to right handlebar usually, ie, every time you get the bike to leave garage, ie)

It´s a bad design (again) and routing. The brake and clutch cable will press and cut (even the brake line, in the rubber protector will be marked too, or cutted, with the key plastic touching under it)

check your, if you have marked where it will break, or if it´s yet broken, or if you get the internal wires damaged.

waiting a new (again) recall about wires

[​IMG]

2. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    curious... an issue affecting ALL scramblers (if not cut, it will be soon) and nobody checking the issue.... this LH cable need be routed out that area...

3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    As I posted in the other thread I've checked mine a few times and the cables are not getting crushed or stretched over any sharp edges when turning the bars. I had the wiring bracket recall the other week which doesn't seem to do much TBH. I have another problem on mine where the wiring round the headstock has damaged the VIN label which appears to be just a stick on paper label. WTF! The dealer has it in hand and is to order a new one but I think some sort of clear plastic cover over it will be in order.

4. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    aren´t they crushed or stretched? when you turn to right the handlebar? the only¡¡¡
    about "sharp edge", don´t consider in this way (to touch), but not rounded, it´s a square metal area (not rounded as the uper side), in long time, it will be a "sharp edge".

if you when turn handlebar to right, the cable is pressed and you can´t move up-down easily (as you can do when it´s turned to left, or in center positios), you have the issue, it´s only time and milleage.

regards

5. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    2019 model and 2400 miles. It has cut through in the exact same spot. down to seeing the wires inside the harness.

6. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    As I keep saying, the cables on mine are not being damaged. On full RH lock they do not touch the headstock. Just clocked up 6k miles and all good.

7. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    Pegscraper, I don't think anyone is doubting yours is OK?. There are other bikes out there that are not ok and getting damaged harness. Good to let others know so they can check it out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Absolutely, I don't doubt that for a second. Even though mine isn't affected I only discovered the issue by it being posted on here. As Gyp suggested on the the Street Scrambler recall thread it's probably down to production tolerance and how individual bikes are assembled on the production line.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    ok, all I know have the issue, if you put handlebar to right, and you try to move the LH control cable, you aren´t able to do it, it´s pressed in some way it´s stucked (and damage), with handlebar to center or left, you can move up and down the cable.

if you are telling that with handlebar to right, you are able to move free the cable up and down and not pressed, really a surprise.

10. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    THERE IS AN ISSUE, and all 2019-2020 bikes have it. In fact, 2021 model IS ROUTED IN DIFFERENT WAY. I´m not refering to the headstock main wire loom, this is absolutely differente, only the LH control lights cable to the headstock... now it´s router OVER the brake line (this is causing damage pressing it, because it´s under, to the metal).

look here new 2021 solution. and now... what are they doing for actual bikes? maybe wait damage when you get 10.000km or more... because these bikes has very low milleage. They must recall ALL BIKES and change the route. They know it and know the failure.

[​IMG]

11. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    red... actual WRONG route, all with contact when turn handlebar to right (red cable PRESSED and damaging, free with handlebar center or left).... and surprise... NOW, new route for 2021 models... green, out of the issue.

now is time to solve the issue in ALL BIKES with a recall... or simply wait to it happens to you, and maybe electronic failures, doesn´t start... and you have to pay a new LH lights control about 300 euros with the cable. Now I´m waiting to replace the part (no parts avaliable... great triumph), but if my bike was ok, fast I would remove the actual position and move to the new.
    [​IMG]

12. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    red... actual WRONG route, all with contact when turn handlebar to right (red cable PRESSED and damaging, free with handlebar center or left).... and surprise... NOW, new route for 2021 models... green, out of the issue.

now is time to solve the issue in ALL BIKES with a recall... or simply wait to it happens to you, and maybe electronic failures, doesn´t start... and you have to pay a new LH lights control about 300 euros with the cable. Now I´m waiting to replace the part (no parts avaliable... great triumph), but if my bike was ok, fast I would remove the actual position and move to the new.
    [​IMG]

more clears, this is where the issue happen, or will happen, move your handlebar to right and check if this happen, that´s were is cutting and damaging (only with handlebar to right)

[​IMG]

and now the cable in 2021 model goes there (reasonable, I hope this time they checked it solve it... but even that, check WELL the rubber over the brake line and maybe you will notice cuttings, but ok, brake line is metal and is only the protector.

[​IMG]

13. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    I remember about 2 years ago, I discovered one issue in a insta360 camera, yes an issue affecting to ALL CAMERAS, a lot people not noticed that, ok, they wasn´t using that mode or expecting high quality (on tv ie), but the issue was there and absolutely clear (I can´t understand how other people didn´t see the issue, because checking samples was there)... and finally after insist to manufacturer, they confirmed the issue and solve with a firmware¡¡¡¡ To me, this is the same. It´s a big issue, it will damage the wire (again, not refering to the recall, this is other, not tension issue, not lengh issue, only bad routed) to all bikes, or at least, bikes using the handlebar to right frequently, if you don´t use the bike a lot, or move handlebar, ok for you.

14. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    All 2019-20 bikes DON'T have it, that's the point I'm trying to make. If they did then mine would be affected and it isn't. I think there are other SS owners on here who's bikes are OK. The dealer should sort the problem if your bike is affected, no question. If mine was I'd be all over them like a rash as I am, in fact, for another issue but for the wiring damage problem I'm in the "if it 'aint broke don"t fix it camp". If Triumph issue a recall and my bike is called in then fair enough but I'll not be climbing on the dealers back for I problem I don"t have or even look like having. Recalls are usually issued for two reasons. Either multple vehicles are presented for warranty claims for the same issue or a potential safety issue is identified. Only Triumph will know the numbers involved so I guess the ball's very much in their court.

15. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    sorry, but you are wrong, 2020 bikes have the issue, in fact, the last photo is from a bike bought about 3-4 months¡¡¡¡¡¡

2021 bikes (new model, just released, not 2020 sold in 2021) haven´t this issue (or I hope it), I don´t know solved, but they route the cable in other position. The problem is the actual 2019-2020 (and maybe 2018-2017, I can´t confirm it).

Your bike have this issue too because it´s a wrong design (bad routed).
    Maybe not damage? of course... if you never turn handlebar to right, never happen. And if you move a lot times to full right, it will be damaged, it´s simple and phisical.

problem is that these bikes has a very low milleage, and then it doesn´t happen, but with this design, and if you analyze your bike, you will notice where it will be damaged, and you know where is wrong.

I´m sorry to tell you all bikes have this issue. Maybe not all bikes will show it (the broken or damage cable), I agree, but the issue is there, and the solution is move cable to NEW POSITION AS 2021 MODELS, and if not, ask to triumph because they do it.

Regards

16. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    if you have doubt... this is the situation... take a photo to your bike with handlebar to the right, as this, post here and compaer... and you will see the issue (not damaged now, of course, but the issue that will damage your cable soon or later)

This is the actual cable position for all 2019-2020 bikes, and its wrong.

[​IMG]

17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I give up....:zzz:

18. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    No problem, you will know where is the issue when it happen, and when we get a recall about it (I hope very soon, and now when 2021 model is release with different route for this cable, it´s more clear), we talk again :).

the issue is there, that if causes to crush or cut cable, is only depending from your use, it´s very simple, if you don´t turn to right handlebar a lot times, parking, get out park... you will be happy and no problem, when you do it a lot times (or next user of your bike) will cut that cable. It´s very simple and it will happen, question is when.

Regards

19. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    The Triumph dealer (West London Triumph) I bought my 2019 new from are excellent. They spoke to Triumph and received a replacement switch and harness. This has now been routed just like the 2021 model. Apparently there were other tight areas in the harness length found. now routed as per 2021 SS. Thank you to my dealer for getting this all sorted out.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Walko

Walko Member

Nov 19, 2020
    World
    I´m waiting the switch-harness, no stock in Spain (2 months waiting).
    Yes, when I discover, and talking with dealer, it would be routed in other way (we were talking to leave outside the metal plate) since as factory is, it´s wrong.

Nice to know they have instructions to route as 2021 models. Now time to recall to all 2019-2020 bikes to solve the issue.... but really it isn´t my problem, I will solve mine :) and byebye... if someone wants to solve, he knows all need (or wait to out warranty and pay repair when it happens).

Regards