Street Cup Wiring Loom Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Adam Anderson, Jun 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Adam Anderson

Adam Anderson New Member

Jun 24, 2017
    UK
    I brought a Street Cup 5 weeks ago 2017 plate.The bike developed a wiring loom problem with the engine cutting out when you turn the bars. I tried to claim a full refund as per consumer rights act of 2015. Yesterday I got a demo replacement bike delivered to my home. This morning I was going out for a ride and the demo bike has the same wiring loom problem and engine cutting out when you turn the bars. Triumph full knowing the street cup model had this fault and was not fit for purpose. My Dealer Carl Rosner in Croydon could not give me a full refund due to problem happened over 30 Days. But offered me £7,800 for my broken street cup. I payed £8,800 for a brand new motorcycle which leaves me short of £1000. Do I class the £1000 short fall as "Triumph Tax"for riding a Triumph motorcycle. I will be sending a letter direct to Triumph motorcycles UK to get my £1000 short fall due to the street cup is still being sold by dealerships full knowing they have a wiring loom problem.. the demo bike only had 360 miles on the clock with a wiring loom problem. #NotHappy

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Five weeks? New bike? Patently 'not of merchantable quality'. You should threaten the County Court (England & Wales) for full reimbursement, repair or replacement. They don't really have a leg to stand on. Your contract is with the dealer but Triumph should honour the warranty if you hand the bike back and demand replacement. Start reasonably - ring Triumph. Note who you spoke to and their response if they are non compliant. They will be sensitive to publicity online and elsewhere for an open and shut case on a bike that's weeks old and barely turned a wheel. Make a contemporaneous record of all your exchanges - especially verbal. Good luck. Be resolute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
  4. Guy Ellis

Guy Ellis New Member

Aug 25, 2017
    London
    Adam, I am having the exact same issue. Bought the Street Cup from Metropolis Motorcycles 2nd hand as it was their demo model with 630 miles on it. I put 300 miles on it myself and started noticing this same issue. Engine cuts out with engine management light and low oil pressure warning light coming on, whenever I turn the handlebars back to the centre.

I've checked oil levels and they are fine. No engine warning lights are on until I turn the handlebars to that certain spot, then it cuts and they come on. Pulling the clutch in and restarting starts the bike up fine and the lights go off. Turn again and the story repeats.

Metropolis are saying they don't have a mechanic free for a whole day for this until end of September, which means I now have to wait over a month to get my new Triumph back to running properly and safely. I'm not at all impressed and feel Triumph should be offering replacement bikes in the interim.

What resolution to this did you reach?

5. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I would get that all in writing from the dealer noting the date of the fault, date you reported the fault and dealer response.

It's CYA time ( cover your A** ) as @Callumity says document everything !

6. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Interesting. I've just received a recall notice for my Street Cup (bought Dec 16) for a problem with a shorter than required wiring loom affecting the hazard warning lights.

Funnily enough the notice arrived a week after I noticed that the hazards weren't working.

7. Guy Ellis

Guy Ellis New Member

Aug 25, 2017
    London
    Yup I had received the same safety recall for the hazard warning lights wiring loom problem.

There are clearly serious problems in the front there beyond just the hazards.

My bike is now with the service department at Metropolis. It's been there since Friday 25th August. (I called them back and suggested I just leave the bike with them so they could get round to it sooner. They agreed, saying they'd expect to have dealt with it in 7 days from drop off).

However they were actually unaware that there was a safety recall going on with the Street Cups and asked me to email them a copy of my recall letter. Apparently this was because their parts manager had been on holiday for the past week, but seeing as my recall letter was dated July, I don't understand how they were unaware of the situation.

As such they are apparently still waiting for the parts from Triumph to fix the safety recall issue, so haven't looked at the engine cut out issue yet.

All in all, not a good experience with Triumph or with the dealer, and still unresolved.

8. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Mine is in the workshop now for the recall. It got there on the back of a recovery truck after the electrics to the starter motor failed.

Dealer thinks it's the same issue.

9. Guy Ellis

Guy Ellis New Member

Aug 25, 2017
    London
    Christ. I wonder if there will be further recalls that expand out beyond just the hazards.

10. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Considering the potential loss and the seriousness of the situation I would suggest discussing this with a motoring solicitor if you get no joy and let them go the court route on your behalf. As already said document everything and send the dealer copies by registered mail so they cannot claim ignorance.

Good luck all of you.

11. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Yep, two wires completely sheared through apparently. All sorted in 30 mins and good as new.

12. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Yep, two wires completely sheared through apparently. All sorted in 30 mins and good as new.

13. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex

14. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Blimey. Triumph need to get a grip on this. Do not release any more until mods have been carried out! This could be so damaging for what appears to be such a simple fix. Triumph are 100% culpable if they continue to release motorcycles with a known safety / reliability issue. STOP SELLING NOW & assist & support your dealerships !

15. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    I know mine was only rectified today, and it MIGHT recur, but it was obviously a simple job that only took 30 mins, so I have to say, whilst it clearly wasn't good, I don't think you would have a leg to stand on in trying to get a refund. It's an irritating but ultimately inconsequential and remedially fault.

16. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    If x2 wires have sheared due to overextension I.e. Wiring lom too short, then surely only a matter of time before the remainders have an issue? Common sense? Yes? Interesting, I look forward to hearing about your experiences in the future. Simple loom extension of all would fix once & for all

17. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Yes, that's why they have issued a safety recall, to change the wiring loom.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Depends on what the issue actually is, Another manufacturer had similar issues caused by a cable tie being overtightened on the production line beaking wires at the steering head causing intermittent and complete engine shutdown.

Could be as simple as not fitting that restraint on the Loom !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Unfortunately we lemmings are at the mercy of the motor industry. Ultimately we owners end up doing the remainder of the research & development. Cars & motorcycles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I agree. The loom to the AC compressor on my Focus is now known as a recurring fault and mine was not spotted by my local stealer when it went in for a service just before the warranty ran out. B4stards didn't bother checking it and refused to help when I kicked up a stink two weeks later when I found the AC was not working. Never use Perry's Ford now out of principle - the robbing w4nkers. Shame as I really like the Ecoboost engine and the rest of the car is excellent.