Strange Noise 2018 Bobber

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by rdgray168, Apr 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rdgray168

rdgray168 New Member

Apr 6, 2020
    Naples FL
    Hello all!

This is my first post on this site and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I have a 2018 Bobber Black with about 700miles on it. While riding the other day, I noticed a strange new noise coming from the intake/fuel injection area of the engine. It sounds like a huffing/ticking noise and is mostly apparent at idle. The bike has not been disassembled in any way, it doesn't seem like anything has come loose. I know the fuel injectors will make some noise, but this is completely new. The bike still runs good so I'm not sure what is going on. Unfortunately, taking it to the dealership would be useless right now because they furloughed all of their certified Triumph techs. I'm pretty tech savvy so I was going to give it a shot on my own first. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    It sounds like chuffing from the exhaust, like a gasket hasn't been fitted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    That or a crank case vent if it’s got one ?

4. rdgray168

rdgray168 New Member

Apr 6, 2020
    Naples FL
    I've check the exhaust and its fine. its definitely coming from the top of the engine

5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Welcome to forum buddy, just seen your a new member :)

I once had a bike with a lose spark plug that made a similar noise, I'm sure one of the other boys will be along shortly who can assist you further. :)

6. rdgray168

rdgray168 New Member

Apr 6, 2020
    Naples FL
    I think I may have found the culprit. I found this circular valve loose with three tubes attached to it. I'm going to venture a guess and say its the crank case breather. If that solves the issue, I'm going to remove that thing all together and replace it with a filter.

IMG_3747.jpg

Edit: after looking at that valve again, should that top plastic housing pop into place somehow? it doesn't appear to rotate, but it looks like it should lock into place.

• Like Like x 1