Strange Marks On Speed Rs Exhaust!!!

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Gixer7502, Feb 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gixer7502

Gixer7502 New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Peterborough
    Speed RS bought brand new and done about 1,500 miles. Put it away for the winter with no problems but this strange pattern has appeared on the exhaust pipe. It looks like it’s been sprayed with something but it won’t wipe off or polish off.

Anyone seen this before?

4B8243C0-5C23-46BD-B8C4-67C95FFC601A.jpeg

177587DC-E4BC-4106-957A-F19919D337D8.jpeg

80A55B0A-3835-4DE8-96A5-E46C99A85401.jpeg

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    When you say it won't polish off, what polish have you tried?
    Solvol Autosol usually works well but try it somewhere out of sight to prove it's suitability.

Do you have any overflow or breather pipes feeding into the air stream in that area?
    I have seen a similar pattern from a coolant bottle overflow when the motor is revved hard.

Stainless steel is not corrosion free and some chemicals will stain or etch the surface.

4. Gixer7502

Gixer7502 New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Peterborough
    I’ve tried autosol but had no affect whatsoever. The bikes been sat there since November and not ridden although I did fire it up just before I noticed the marks and let it run for a bit so will check for any overflow pipes around that area!!
    I have let it run loads of times before but never had an issue!!

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I had these on a 2016 Speed Triple R 3,000 when I bought it
    Same place too!

TBH it didn't bother me, but could be any liquid that has dried onto the exhaust and only got darker as time passed
    I can't offer any advice on ridding it other than has already been mentioned

But does seem to be a characteristic of the exhaust

• Like Like x 1
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #6 Eldon, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    I am assuming these pipes are Stainless steel but it comes in many grades. One of the correct grades for exhausts is 321 but often pipes are made from the more common, i.e. cheaper 304 grade. Your standard takeaway extraction hoods are from 430 grade. To look at they are both visually simar but the Nickel content (amongst other alloys) is massively different which will affect it's corrosion resistant.

Hydroflouric acid would bring the staining off but I'm not sure the resulting appearance would be pleasing. This is very nasty stuff, read up on HF acid burns, eats bone, so I am not suggesting you try it.

7. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I've used Cillit Bang (really) on mine in the past with great success - but Harpic Power Plus contains 9% Hydrochloric Acid and is highly likely to get those marks off.

Just make sure you wash it off thoroughly :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    May I suggest that these marks may be as a result of pipe bending clamps during the manufacturing process?

9. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Mine looks the same. There aren’t any overflow pipes in that area, they are on the other side under the side stand. Can’t remember when it first appeared. I use fine wire wool, the sort plumbers use, and solvol. It doesn’t completely remove it but it does look better after a good polish.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #10 MrTriple, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    Just another thought - I only tried the Cillit Bang trick once (which was enough) and wouldn't want to use it too often.

For preventative maintenance, I regulalry use a microfibre to apply ACF-50 to the pipes and cans, which does a brilliant job of helping to prevent further tarnishing. It smokes for a 30 seconds when you first start the bike, but that's nothing to worry about (even if it looks alarming) :)

The ACF-50 causes a very (very) slight straw colouration, but it's even and not particulalry noticeable. There were some spots on my downpipes that the Cillit Bang didn't remove...but they eventually disappeared completely after a few applications of ACF-50 over time.

I've found that applying a polish (I use Peek metal polish in a tin) has the same yellowing effect. If you do use polish, go easy or use wire wool as others have suggested, to prevent shiny patches.

Here's my old 2016R after around 3,500 miles - you should be able to see the even straw colouration to the downpipes:

(please know that my obsession for cleaning a bike is secondary to actually riding it :D)

Speed_ACF50.jpg

Try this...it's £1 in Tesco :yum

IMG_7968.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Dont leave the Hapic on for too long. You have been warned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Exactly right - it works quite quickly...and as I said, wash it off completely.

If it's OK for my toilet and safe to use near my arse...then it can't be too aggressive o_O

13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Pretty much what it does to a stainless steel sink - it removes tarnishing and rust spots, presumably by eating it away (hence not leaving it on for too long).

I wouldn't use it as a regular treatment, but given that using a polish also removes metal, I don't see it as particularly aggressive.

I've used it once and my pipes are still there. It's not like the caustic Alien blood you see in the films ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #13 Sprinter, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    It will change, dull ,the finish on Stainless Steel.Its acid. Edit it works well just was off and dont leave too long.
    As has been said

15. Cupracing

Cupracing Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Berkshire
    I’ve had god results with wet and dry on the pipes, gets rid of marks and bring it back to shiny silver

16. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    I’m OCD when it comes to cleaning but damn you guys are nuts about cleaning the pipes. I don’t have any marks or spots like those posted but if I did I wouldn’t mind them. They are the one thing I won’t bother with. ;)

Triple is right though, if you do use a stainless polisher get it off quick and don’t use it regularly. It eats the steel along with the stains. And don’t get it on the plastic bits or engine coatings.

17. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    #15 Biker Jock, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    I've definitely seen marks like that on bike exhausts (too dark now to check if they're on the Tiger 800), but exhausts get manky anyway, so I didn't give them a second thought.

• Like Like x 1