Strange increase in mpg ??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Dougie D, Apr 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    any idea why i am suddenly getting more mpg? :confused: up until now my reserve light has been coming on at 130 miles and i have 2 bars left on the dash,but today it showed 140 before light came on still had the 2 bars shown,also i was riding a lot faster than i have been as conditions were great,it's maybe my imagination but my exhaust seemed a tad louder don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    i'm not complaining though! :D

2. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    ha ha yeah it's a weird one,hope it keeps going in that direction!

3. 711jrp

711jrp Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    south london
    Loosened up as it's getting run in maybe??

4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    could be, it's only just done over 2k,but you would think it would be a gradual increase in mpg..and although i am pretty forgetful with most things, i always reset the trip after refueling, so something strange is going on :confused:

5. 711jrp

711jrp Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    south london
    How about the new tires, you put the on yet? Can't see the making that much of a difference, who knows.

6. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Yes, i put the Angels on before i went to Moffat they were scrubbed in nicely for today's run and i was really happy with them.I'm sure the super corsas would have been brilliant today also as the roads were in great condition but it's just i had lost all confidence in the wet or damp conditions,not that i go out when it's raining but up here in Scotland sometimes you do get caught out! but yeah i agree with you I'd be surprised if they had anything to do with mpg..as on the moffat run the light came on at 130 as usual

7. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Light on for reserve is not an exact science. Lots of variables, how full you filled tank, riding up / down hill, etc. I would believe a tyre could make that much difference and also tyre pressures definitely will make that difference.
    Would worry about it, just enjoy your ride.

8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    yeah definitely not worrying about it!:) i always fill tank up to the brim and check tyres before every ride..honest! and every time apart from today the light has come on between 128 and 130..the mystery continues!

9. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Did you fill up at the usual place? Fuel quality can make a difference.
    Not left it idling for 10mins+ lately so it went into an "adaptive reset"?

10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Maybe you've just been going down hill with the wind behind you! Ambient temperature can make a difference

11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Yep filled it up at my local place,and only time i let it idle is when i first start the bike usually just for a minute or so before i ride off.i was actually expecting the light to come on sooner than normal as i was riding it harder than usual,I'm curious to see if this trend continues! :) I've got the grand kids staying over this week so i won't be out on my bike until possibly sunday..mind you after having the grand kids for a week i might just spend sunday in my bed recovering!!

12. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    maybe its just the fuel gauge that's playing up and I'm not really getting more MPG!

13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#13 MrOrange, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
    Only way to really measure mpg, is at least ten tankful and record mileage covered.

Bang numbers into a spread sheet and see what your getting.

My light can come on at 175 to 200 miles, but averages out at 50mpg. Using fuel light as a mpg guide is a very rough estimate.

[​IMG]

14. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    yeah i'll maybe do that,i've worked it out roughly before and i was getting about 38mpg and that was pretty near to what the computer was saying..now the computer is saying 41mpg

15. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I'm impressed Mr.O......
    Finally, there's somebody more OCD than me! :D

Dougie, perhaps now you're "having fun" you're keeping the engine in it's sweet spot more often and getting maximum efficiency. :)
    (that's my excuse anyway...save the planet - wring it's neck):D

• Like Like x 3
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Always do this for a new vehicle, get to know what is 'usual'. If it drops, you know something is wrong.
    My jag stopped getting 44 mpg, dropped to below 40, knew something wrong. Found rear caliper was sticking on!!!

And yes, serious OCD, :confused:

• Like Like x 1