Sprint GT Strange Front End Noise

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Mpgscott, Jul 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mpgscott

Mpgscott Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    When out for a ride this morning i noticed the Bike making a strange noise. When you rock it back and forth and hold on the front brakes its making a crunching clunking noise. Brakes are all secure the headstock seems fine its just weird. Could it be the floating discs moving and is it normal??

Video of it:

Any thoughts as normal much appreciated

2. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Another video of it, hard to show but im rolling forward and banging on the front brake.

3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Both video's unavailable, maybe its my settings ?

With the bike on the stand, hold the front disc and see if you can rotate it, can you feel any movement between the fixed and floating part of the disc ? There should be vitually none

Is there movement of the disc in any other direction ? A little side to side play is acceptable

4. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Strange on the videos I also can’t access from my phone. Will have to investigate I definitely made them public.

What sites other than YouTube do folk use for uploading videos on forum?

Cheers I will check the discs as you suggest.

5. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Are videos working now?

6. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    First video, no second video working

Having heard the noise it sounds more like discs , but, I would get the front wheel off the ground and grab the bottom of the fork legs and check for wear in the fork bushes too, push and pull, there should be no movement between sliders & fork tubes

7. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Got the wheel off the ground as you suggested and i hear the knock as i pulll and push on the front wheel.

Its not the discs and all the clamps are tight. Head stock feels fine so maybe its the fork bush then? These were replaced only a few hundred miles ago looks like another set then.

Where is good to buy them?

8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Did the bottom of the forks/stanchions move in time with the noise ? If so the head stem bearings are loose ! It's not uncommon for wear to loosen them and allow Nut to move and loosen more !

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Try gripping the sliders at the top where you wont feel fork bush movement and check again, steer head bearings can be difficult to see & feel unless you have a good reference point.

10. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    What would the steering head need a tighten or is new bearings?

Cheers for the help

11. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Is it possible that a brake caliper has worked loose? Unlikely I know, but more than a little scary!

12. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    #12 Mpgscott, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    I took the front wheel off and the forks seem fine, there does seem to be some play at the head stock. It looks like two locking nuts that i take it you knock round to tighten with a hammer and chisel or screwdriver would that be correct?

Found this

13. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Forks seem fine, its done 21K miles. I will go and have a look at the head bearings.

14. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    @ 21,000 they will just need tightening, would be very unusual for them to be shot and unserviceable !

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The noise sounds to me something is catching on the front forks as the suspension is worked?

16. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Bearings and races are all fine, was needing a good clean up but both top and bottom bearings are cleaned and greased. Now its the trying to tighten them without the tool. Has anyone done this before? To get the 40nm force to seat the bearings is there anyway to gauge this? I have tighter them a little still free left to right on the handle bars and there isnt the movement i was getting at the start however i think i will look to get the tool to allow me to put the correct torque on them unless anyone has some ideas on how to do this with a hammer and screwdriver.

17. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Thanks for all the help folks and posting up the page from the manual very helpful.

I will get the tool ordered and tighten them properly next weekend.

19. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Yep it steers fine and no wobble, odd since they do appear the culprit. Everything else was nice and tight brakes and all bolts.

20. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    All good, it was the steering head.. ordered the correct tool torqued to 40nm seat the bearings the release and back to 15nm

All good and new front white indicator lenses fitted

• Like Like x 1