Storing Bike In House

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Richard Cheek, May 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard Cheek

Richard Cheek Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2019
    Maidstone
    Does anyone store their bike inside their house? Any issues with doing so?

Basically, I don't have a garage and because of my driveway being sloped, it isn't practical to build a garage. My dining room was originally a garage but the previous owners converted it into a dining room. I don't really want to convert it back as I think it will devalue the house overall. I have a bay window at the front of the house now (formerly the garage door) and was thinking of changing the bay window to french doors (or similar) and so I can wheel the bike in and store it inside but still keep the dining room. It would not be stored next to a radiator so the only issue I can foresee is the smell of petrol etc. But I've heard that modern bike shouldn't have an issue with petrol smells (it's a 2017 street triple so not an old bike). I read that if you put a cloth in the exhaust pipe and cover the bike fully then there's no problem at all. But I've also read people saying avoid storing in the house at all costs.

Anyone's experience/opinion would be appreciated, thanks

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. RebelHawk

RebelHawk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2020
    SC, USA
    We keep our bikes in our sun room but we typically keep the door to the sunroom closed from the rest of the house. The only thing we notice is a bit of petrol smell when we first get back from a ride but that dissipates. Now at first we got some odd comments from some neighbors who noticed our choice of bike parking but hey it's a simple solution for parking/security. We also have tile floors in there so it makes for simple clean up.

391CD2F6-017E-4DD2-9AF2-95A4CE03E9B3_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

You married?:confused:

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    This sort of thing :)

42AD255D-1CB4-4AF6-8A5B-72D3F0EC24A3.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    She's very understanding but I put the one on the wall while she was out :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Richard Cheek

Mar 23, 2019
    Maidstone
    Thanks for the info Rebel. There isn't a door to close between the dining room and the rest of the house, just an open archway so keeping any fumes out of the rest of the house is my main priority/worry.

Yeah and she's actually on board with the idea. She loves the look of the STR (she's a keeper!) so that's not an issue.

Rocker, do you take any steps when keeping the bikes inside (eg covering exhaust/disconnecting petrol tank etc)? I don't particularly want to drain petrol tank each time I bring it in. It will be used regularly

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oz228

Oz228 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Inverness
    It can't be any different from a showroom keeping the bikes inside? Can it?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Triton has a drained tank but the Ducati has fuel in it and could be wheeled out and but no battery on her as she's in here for a year or so and there's not fuel smell
    If you're planning on having the bike in use let it cool down first and you should get no smell

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Richard Cheek

Mar 23, 2019
    Maidstone
    Awesome, thanks for the tip

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Beats hanging pictures on the walls... :)

What a pair of bikes! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I can't imagine that you'll have any real problem with fuel smells - certainly not once the bike/engine has cooled. However. AHEM.... you MIGHT have a bit of a problem with your home and contents insurers!

I would check with them before making nay permanent or long term decisions. If it's a no-go you could consider something like a PVC lean-to shed alongside an outside wall, space permitting.

I would think very carefully before doing this, just in case you are invalidating existing policies or precluding yourself from cover in the event of an unforeseen incident in the future.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Not for long! :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    We have an integral garage with a door from the hall. You do get a noticeable smell of engine and occasional whiff of petrol if the bike is hot but should be ok once cooled down.
    Basically your dining room will smell like a garage! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Before I married, I kept my Suzuki in my apt. for security. Never a problem!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. STIFFLER

STIFFLER Senior Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Shropshire
    I once had a KH400 in the hall way for a year...loved the smell of it :). Had to get a shed after our then Husky puppy chewed the footrest to bits & gave himself a black stripe scratching his back on the chain!:). Wife went mad having to clean him off. I was more bothered about my knackered foot rest!!!!:)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The previous owners of my house turned the garage into a room which we used as a playroom for my sons. they put a window in the side and at the front where the garage doors were, once my lads had grown up and we kicked them out I was given permission to turn it back into a garage. I kept the door opening the same width as the window that was removed which is narrower than a normal garage door so should we or the next owner want to convert it back its just a case of shoving a window in on top of some bricks. Had to put a fire door in between it and the main house tho. Regarding smells once the bike's cooled down its generally ok. I havent noticed any petrol smells. The only problem you might have is when you try sneaking it in when its soaking wet.
    thumbnail (2).jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I used to keep my Firebird Scrambler all stripped down and hung in my bedroom. Till Tracy moved in and her Mum hit her head and cut it badly. She then said me or the bike. I said it been nice good luck. That lasted about a couple of months and the bike went to the garage and I got on my knee's. But then built the bike and had years of great memories on the bike wish I could do it all over again.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  19. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Boscastle, Cornwall
    Er, yeah

20180617_151452.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  20. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    When my first wife left, I moved the bike I had at the time, a MV, into the lounge. When I met and married wife No.2 the bike returned to the garage. o_O

001.JPG

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1