Sticky One......................

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by H.O., Jul 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    A neighbour we hardly know has got to stand on the naughty step for a couple of years or so, his girl friend has asked if I can tow his car about 6 miles, is his car still insured as he's now pleasuring Her Maj as, as I understand it he is incapable of being with the vehicle or in charge of it, and it is a drastic 'change of circumstances' to say the least, would another driver need to be covered by his insurer to drive other vehicles to be towed even if the car still carries insurance?
    From the time the big door slammed shut I'd of thought his insurance was void even if no one informed his company, am I wrong on that?
    Opinions please.
    Cheers
    Terry

2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    The vehicle being towed must have road fund tax as it is not classed as a trailer. Any issues with brakes and - if it collides with the towing vehicle - well you can guess what insurance will do. Personally stay clear.- sometimes being the Samaratin can cost you!

3. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Just checked ask mid, NOT INSURED!!!
    As you've both said, not my problem.
    Cheers
    Terry

4. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    One thing I have found - not myself- if you tow a car that has been " flagged" due to a dodgy owner - your own car can also get " flagged" on the watch list. You have done the correct thing.

5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Basic position in UK law is that it is the driver who is insured (or not) whereas most European policies cover the vehicle. A driven vehicle (or one kept on the highway) needs to be taxed and MoT'd - or en route to an MoT appointment.
    Towing makes the towed vehicle a trailer and needing its own driver to operate brakes/lights (and insured!) or suspended with tailboard relating to the tow vehicle. The detainee will need to give clear permission too.
    Trailer it or get a professional tow!

6. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    You've not seen the state of the car!!
    I'd have called the scrappy and got me £60!
    If he'd have kept his dick behind the zip and not speared his girl friends 14yo sister he wouldn't be in this mess, although both deny it unfortunately he failed to convince the jury.
    TBH I dont really want to be involved to any degree, but I rather think new neighbours are on the horizon as she's too lazy to get a job and struggled to keep the house going on 2 sets of benifits let alone 1!

7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Surly not the case if you have a towing dolly?

8. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    In the 60's we were allowed by the local Police to push our un-registered track bikes to the fields if we un-did and took off the drive chain, and Ive heard from a long while back if a 'car' has either no engine or prop shaft and cannot be mechanically propelled it was not now a motorized vehicle, same as putting a complete car on bricks if no wheels are touching the ground it did not need any of the 3, insurance, mot or tax, my argument on that would be the bricks take the place of wheels/tyres and make contact with the road surface.
    Might have changed now though.

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A suspended tow makes it a trailer so the prime mover plate needs to be on the back with triangles, brake lights etc., as per towing board. Not sure what you are querying.

10. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    In the 70's my mate got 2 points (for pushing a 50 to ride on the field) on his licence that he didn't even have at 15 they came into force when he was 16 and the police wonder why some hate them:mad:

11. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Query was the towed vehicle had to have a driver:)

12. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Nothing to gain, everything to lose.
    No brainer to me!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Yes, if it is not being steered by the prime mover! So if all 4 wheels are on the deck and there is no A frame attached to the steering arms but, rather, a straight bar, tow rope etc., then ya need a driver. There are also rules about weights, braking requirements etc., that mean a motorhome can tow a Smart but not a Granada.
    Start here for insomnia:
    https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/trailer-and-towing-equipment