Sticky Gear Change

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Mattymgm, May 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mattymgm

Mattymgm New Member

Feb 24, 2020
    Derbyshire
    Hi all having issues with gear change on a tiger sport 1050 checked cable, chain, oil just wounderd if there was anymore checks I should do
    Thanks matty

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Perhaps a more detailed explanation of the ‘issues’ would help....... ?

3. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    When was the oil last changed? Fresh oil sometime helps

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    OK we’re getting there!

How old is the bike and what is its total mileage? I would not be too quick to dismantle anything. If this is a bike that has done few miles and stood a bit and then maybe not had quite the right oil at service (if it even happened) AND the cable needs adjustment you could have the issues described.

If you imagine the clutch as a pile of plates they are clamped together by springs and lubricated and cooled by oil when the clutch is pulled and springs overcome. That first gear clunk is oil drag between the spinning plates. Not enough to stop you selecting gear but enough to create drag. Hot oil thins a bit so I would double check cable adjustment. Whatever the handbook says you basically want full spring clamp and just enough slack (2mm?) at the lever to know you have it......because pulling the lever maximises plate separation/eases gear changes.

For peace of mind I would do an oil change with the Castrol Triumph recommend. You might just find what has been used is a perfectly good lubricant but, ironically, has the wrong friction characteristics for your gearbox and clutch.

EB17C9E1-08DF-454D-976F-3DC30B83CB52.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1