Vintage Tiger Steamer Gathering In The Sw

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Steamerblue, Jul 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steamerblue

Steamerblue Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2019
    exeter
    fellow Stokers (Steamer pilots not spliff captains...ok)

As there's a few Steamers in the SW and the lockdown malarkey is reducing by the week, does anyone fancy a socially distancing (ie no hugging, right?) meet up somewhere central in the SW? A Steam up!

Locations. Stokers interested. Dates.

2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    #2 Adie P, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Yep, very interested in a SD (socially distanced!) meet-up ..... as long as I'm allowed to and forgiven for turning up on a Trident or Mk. 1 Speed Triple. My Tiger's still in storage and will require a long re-commissioning exercise once it's eventually repatriated!

Locations? I was going to suggest this :-

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/refu...729492948?mc_cid=4bda8ca5a3&mc_eid=06b1c12960

but as it's now pre-book only; chargeable and likely to be a poseur's paradise, I dismissed the idea.

I figure an initial meeting ought to be somewhere slightly "lower key"? As an alternative how about the (former?) Log Cabin Diner on the 361? Not sure if it's opened up yet but there's a car park so that's a start. Just checked - it's open for takeaway so is fine.

However, if you're looking at attracting Steamers from the wider SW region then maybe somewhere like the Haynes Museum would be more regional-centric?

Edit :-

For possible future meets we could consider Coldharbour Mill in Uffculme - a working mill that still uses steam power (occasionally) for textile production. Has a large car park, cafe and shop.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steamerblue

Apr 23, 2019
    exeter
    Hi Adie, Log Cabin diner is fine. Sadly Haynes is closed 'til october, but the alternative could be somewhere like Lynmouth (coffee and pasties available). Uffculme Mill is a good spot too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    I’m up for this!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Steamerblue

Apr 23, 2019
    exeter
    out with mates last saturday and two of the indicator stalks have failed so about to replace the lot (all cracked). Lynmouth was very busy, so was the A361, and A39.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    ok is it weekends that are best? I’m probably more free in the week at the moment as have just got back from work in the North Sea.

7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    As I'm a retard - sorry ...... as I'm (mostly) retired - any day/time is good for me. I am, however, unashamedly a fair weather rider so, if it's raining I'll be in me old Astra! :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steamerblue

Apr 23, 2019
    exeter
    hi guys, I tend to work most of the week with a day here and there available - next week could be possible (3-7th Aug) if anyone's about. Indy stalks all fixed now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    If the weather's OK (i.e. dry) I could/would do Tuesday or Thursday.

Did you fit repro indicators?

10. Steamerblue

Apr 23, 2019
    exeter
    Let's aim for tuesday? 10 am at Log Cabin?

As regards the indicators I bought new stems from Sprint Manufacturing which are direct replacements for the ones on the Tiger. The heads fit perfectly and mine were easy to take apart; on the front, despite the lead cap, the fixing thread had rusted up and it needed the old stalk to be broken away to reveal the cast in hexagon fixing (M12 spanner) to allow the outer nut (M19) to be removed, even with a dose of WD40 and an hour or two of soaking. New jobbies fit straight on, same nut (suitably cleaned up).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Sounds good - if the weather stays dry I'll probably use Speed or Trident, or even the Daytona if I get it taxed. Seeya then.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    where’s this log cabin??

13. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Although annoyingly I’ve arranged to meet a mate in Dorchester on Tuesday. He’s coming from Pompey and I’m coming from Exeter so Dorchester is in the middle. Bloomin typical but don’t feel I can back out on him now.

14. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Ah I’ve found it near South Molton.

15. Steamerblue

Apr 23, 2019
    exeter
    Maybe we could throw it open to anyone with an early Hinckley iron?

16. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Yeah, good idea as Steamers aren't exactly around in plentiful numbers these days. Never were, I suppose! :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    It's easy to find, Clarkey - it's 'on' the A361 North Devon Link Road.

18. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    cheers. I’ve double booked myself though so hope you guys enjoy the day.

19. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Sure will - if it's dry. And the same to you. See you at the next one!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steamerblue

Apr 23, 2019
    exeter
    Hi Adie
    message/conversation sent