Staying Dry Tip

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by pasher, Sep 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. pasher

pasher Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Nottingham
    Have tried several 'oversuits' for wet weather riding and none of them worked that well. My conclusion is that no material is good at withstanding a constant 70mph water cannon!!
    So, a cheap solution. GoOutdoors (other camping shops exist ;-) ) do a two piece waterproof oversuit for about £11. Its light and rolls up small. Wear it underneath your riding jacket and trousers. OK, the top layer becomes 'sacraficial' and gets soaked, but my core and underwear stay dry!!

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Go buy yourself an Aerostitch Roadcrafter or a Darien 2 piece, Still wearing mine after 8 years of being dry.
    A bit expensive but you get what you pay for !

Lough Gur Pump.JPG

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I use a 7 quid, 2 piece over suit that works 100% and folds up to nothing, so I carry it with me all the time, never leaked yet, unlike my 250 quid Alpinestar boots that needed dubbin after leaking from day one( good now though)
    My 15 pound ex army boots never leak.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I learned my lesson in the IOM wearing a semi waterproof suit and an oversuit and was soaked to the skin within 4 hours, never ever again, but whatever works is great !

Been down the same route with boots too, I have a pair that are older than I like to remember that get saddle soaped on a regular basis to keep them dry but theyre too comfortable to part with.

The gear I have now was bought as the older stuff was done and always leaked, and I hated arriving anywhere looking like I'd p****d myself.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #5 Sprinter, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Just checked out Areostitch. That price is made up though eh !?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Midlothian
    Nikwax spray on my jacket & gloves does the trick,I keep a few of those supermarket polly bags handy, ( the little ones used for the veg) as boot liners if it is really pissing down.........remember to take the veg out first tho';) and a pair of walking over-trousers ........sorted:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    When I bought mine they were a little cheaper than that but I could step into it wearing a suit and arrive at the other end without looking like I'd been dragged through a hedge backwards :cool: .

It's a little too snug for that now though :blush:.

But I can still step into it inside 30 seconds whilst wearing the boots and be ready to ride, or vice versa, which I have never had with any other bike gear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    When you say it's a little snug, do you mean your clothings shrunk :eek:;):):) cos over the years I've experienced the same problem :rolleyes::).

9. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to have noticed this problem ;):):)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Hughsie

Hughsie Member

Apr 21, 2017
    Dublin
    I've been through numerous brands of "waterproof" gear over the years. I think I have about 5 pairs of 'WP' bottoms in the gear closet - not one of them could keep my arse dry for the 30 min ride to work or back home. Always had to keep dry jocks, socks & jeans in work to deal with W.A.S. (wet arse syndrome).

Then an old bike courier recommended Lindstrands.
    Honestly, they're the only WP gear I use now.
    Price was €50 for the bottoms, but small price to pay for dry balls in work!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Lindstrands / Jofama / Halvarssons all the same brand, swear by them. Only problem, as always is the gap between trousers and jacket, never solved that yet.

Suppose the aerostitch suit would do that, but what do you do when your not riding to work and can take it off compltely?
    i.e. - Ride to a BSB round - where the hell do you put your very large and expensive one piece suit?

upload_2017-9-19_12-28-13.jpeg
    Does it come with the water pump ? or is that an optional extra ???? Not quite difficult riding with that attached, or do you have a sidecar ????:p:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    What about the salopette style of WP trousers? Surely they sort on the gap issue?

13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Called them sellotapes for years....bugger....really must learn to keep something's to myself :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland

They do a Darien 2 piece as well that zips together to stop the gap thing :cool:.

Why would you want to take it off its always raining at the BSB ...........
    :imp:
    The water pump was just handy to stop me falling over :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i thought most of the textile jackets zip to the trousers:confused:.my furygan ones do..mind you i never bother zipping them together,i woudn't recommend the Furygan Titan jacket even although it's not a cheap jacket it's not waterproof in a downpour plus the zips are sh**e..other than that it's a great jacket;)

16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

My jacket and trousers do zip together and are genuinely waterproof, even in the worst of the scottish summer !!!! But I have always ended up with a wet belly ! Maybe if I wore a longet style jacket it would help, but don't find them comfortable on the bike.

I got a motorcross over head kagoul from Acerbis, which is brilliant,, not breathable, but totally waterproof
    upload_2017-9-19_13-56-26.png
    but still get wet at the ol' belly button ???

17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    How about one of these to bridge the gap!!
    IMG_3267.JPG
    :scream::eyes:
    I've headed for the hills!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

That'll fit him like a glove :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1