Starting Problems

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by William Gillies, Jun 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. William Gillies

William Gillies Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Kelso
    hi need help . Starting problems with my 1600 thunderbird... got new battery 10 months ago bikes not been used much due to cover 19 .. so charged battery up used her a few times no problem.. but had to charge battery again went for 60 mile run came back .. Next morning won't start just clicks lights all coming on . Any ideas thanks wullie

2. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Despite what you've said, I'd suspect battery still. Can you test the voltage of it? Does your charger indicate battery health at all?

I've had a new battery in my T-Bird (commander) every 18 months or so since new, despite being kept on an optimate.

3. William Gillies

Jul 17, 2018
    Kelso

4. William Gillies

Jul 17, 2018
    Kelso
    Hi David thanks .. Will try that when I get home after work . But surely it can't be the battery its hardly been used

5. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    I find that it's not using it that kills the battery most.

Also, check when you're attempting to start it (and it's clicking), do the lights on the gauges fades? If so, it's almost certainly the battery.

If everything stays nice and bright, the starter motor just doesn't turn over ... then yes, it's quite possibly not the battery.

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It has pretty much all been said. A smart charger will pay for itself by making your batteries last well over twice as long and putting that tedious ‘click, nothing’ firmly to bed. Try starting a car with such a tiddly battery with minimal reserves of power.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. William Gillies

Jul 17, 2018
    Kelso

8. William Gillies

Jul 17, 2018
    Kelso
    Thanks guys . Lights don't dim they stay bright so will check when I'm home

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You have maybe never noticed but pressing the starter disengages the headlight as it engages the starter motor. If you leave the ignition on the headlight will dull quick enough.