Sprint GT Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Aidan, Aug 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    I have a 2016 Sprint GT. This weekend was exceptionally hot (35C+). Got to passport control at Calais after long run down motorway. Then stuck in a queue and bike overheated. Temp light came on and bars in gauge were flashing. Turned it off, but it then refused to re-start. Pushed it through customs and UK Border Force very kindly gave me a jump start and it re-started (by this time, engine was cool again though). No problems after that - started fine after repeated starts getting on and off train. Checked battery at home - 12.6V before starting, drops to around 11V while cranking, then over 14V charging, so all looks healthy. I did have a similar problem before back in May, but nothing until this weekend.

Any ideas? Thought about adding supplementary fan that I can switch on manually. However, it was also exceptional circumstances.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Sorry to hear about your problem Aidan. It does sound like it was maybe a one off but it might be worth giving the cooling system a service.
    Do you know when the coolant was last, if ever, changed? Mileage?
    Is the fan in good order, no broken or damaged blades?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    thanks. Mileage about 6000 although it is 2016. The guy had never had it serviced as it "had never reached the mileage" (I do a service every year on my vehicles), so I assume the coolant is still factory. I'm going to change it and flush and put some coolant additive in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1