Sprint GT Starting Problem

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Aidan, May 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    Took Sprint GT (2016) out yesterday. All fine, except stopped at our destination and shop was shut, so after turning off, almost immediately had to re-start. It struggled to turn-over, sounding like a dead-battery. However, it is always on a trickle charge at home, and usually is back up to full charge fairly shortly. Eventually, after leaving it a few mins, it started on the button and spun up like normal. Stopped again on way home and no probs.

Any ideas? I had an Aprilia Falco who used to do this all the time, and I put it down to a poor design which would struggle to turn the pistons when they were both just before compression. However, I don't expect it on a modern bike. Only takes once to set you off worrying everytime you go out.

Any ideas anyone? I will do the obvious and check voltage of battery under starting load. I suppose the battery could be on the way out. The guy before kept it in a shed and not sure he had an optimiser.

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have a volt meter on my 2010 Speed Triple and after turning off the motor the voltage steadily declines to about 12.1v and then recovers after a minute to 12.6v

It could just be the battery settling into a rested state and then the voltage recovering as it gets its "breath back"

This also happened on my 2016 Speed Triple before I sold it
    No other vehicle I have owned has suffering these symptoms though

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bob W

Bob W New Member

Apr 13, 2019
    Stockton on Tees
    My 2016 model was doing exactly the same on a recent Scotland tour.

It's almost as if it needs a few moments to reset itself???