Tiger 1050 Starting Issues with a 2007 1050 Tiger

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Gary Prunty, Aug 29, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gary Prunty

Gary Prunty New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Armagh, Northern Ireland
    Hi yea,

I have recently purchased the above mentioned machine from a Salvage Yard as it had been involved in a bit of a spill. She has a few issues but what bothering me at the minute is that I can get her to crank over never mind getting her to start.

It is fitted with a Triumph alarm system which seems to be switching on and off with the button on the key but when I turn on the ignition and hit the started button nothing happens. When I got the bike the battery was totally dead and I've charged it up and it appears to be holding a charge.

Any ideas or pointers as to where to start trying to figure this out??

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I know its a silly one but have you checked the clutch lever safety switch is making proper contact? look here for some info. I know its a different bike but I guess its the same mechanism

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gary Prunty

Gary Prunty New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Armagh, Northern Ireland
    Thanks and no I don't think it's a silly one, that's the side she went down on and I haven't checked that area out at all.

4. Gary Prunty

Gary Prunty New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Armagh, Northern Ireland
    All looks to in order around the clutch area, anybody have any other ideas??

5. Gary Prunty

Gary Prunty New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Armagh, Northern Ireland
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You say it looks in order but have you done a continuity check? Then there is the kill switch. There is a tip over switch which comes into action if the bike is dropped, it cuts the engine, it's meant to be reset by turning ignition on and off 3 times, waiting for the prime process to finish but I think the bike turns over if that is activated, the are so many possibilities it's a bugger!

7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If the bike's battery was as dead as the proverbial Dodo, and had been for a while. I think it reasonable to expect the battery in the alarm to have lost all of its juice too, if this is the case there is a risk it loses all its memory and leaves the bike in a permenant state of the alearm being active and thus unable to start.

From your initial post, you say you can get the bike to crank - was that a typo and supposed to read can't gat it to crank?

I have a Triumph alarm which is basically a Datatool

So, with a new battery fitted tell us what happens when you turn the ignition on
    - does the alarm beep or make any noise
    - do the indicators flash to register a command from the fob
    - does the alarm activate when the ignitition is turned on

You may have to look at having the alarm removed which can be a bit of a process and needs to be done properly.

Try the usual start sequence, clutch in, sidestand up, in neutral shut of switch in the on position
    Was the tilt sensor activated in the spill, this would usually reset when the ignition is turned off and on again

Was the bike standing in the yard a long time, is the petrol stale/crap could water have got in?

Check the spark plugs, replace if necessary.
    If she cranks over, is there the smell of fuel from the exhaust
    Could the engine be flooded with fuel, if so, turn her over with the throttle closed - should always do this by the way on all fuel injected engines.

I am sure there are other teast but we would need more info

8. Gary Prunty

Gary Prunty New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Armagh, Northern Ireland
    Yeah that was a typo, it won't crank over. The alarm does seem to function, in that it bleeps and indicators flash etc. I even tried plugging the alarm out and it still goes off even when not connected to the bike. The bike is sitting on the centre stand in neutral with the side stand in the up position.

9. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If it is indeed the Datatool alarm, then one flash is for disarmed and two is armed
    If you unplug the alarm, then the bike would be in a disabled state as default

Can you get the engine to turn over by having it in gear and turning the rear wheel, what I am getting at is it is seized?

It may be a case of getting a multimeter and spending time checking continuity between battery, starter motor, charging system, kill switch, side stand etc :(

10. Gary Prunty

Gary Prunty New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Armagh, Northern Ireland
    If I could get her to crank over I could figure all the rest of the stuff out. I'm not that far from McCallen's motorbikes in Lisburn but don't want to have to bring her up there to be pluged in if I can help it.

11. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    So the alarm is disabled, side stand up, clutch in, kill switch in the on position, but no go from the starter motor.
    Do the lights dim when you hit the starter button?
    It could be a case of the relay or fuse having blown, do check all the fuses

12. Gary Prunty

Gary Prunty New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Armagh, Northern Ireland
    Never thought of it being seized although there is still plenty of oil in the sump.

13. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Is there any response from the starter motor, even a click from the relay

14. Gary Prunty

Gary Prunty New Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Armagh, Northern Ireland
    No nothing at all, it's like the kill switch or something has been activated.

15. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Is there a red LED for the alarm to show when it is active?
    Does this flash still and is the alarm definetly deactivated

Seems it realy could be a case of needing a multileter to check continuity

16. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Gary the side stand switch is operated by a plunger which can seize and stop working. The same the the clutch lever switch.

17. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  18. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    My Thunderbird spent winter in a mates garage on an optimate...which was faulty.when I went to pick it up battery was totally flat...even the alarm wouldn't work.
    Charged it up but no crank ... nothing.
    New battery....fired up first time.
    Could be as simple as that maybe?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Woops...just spotted this is a very old thread!