Starter Motor

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Nigel Jameson, Feb 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Nigel Jameson

Nigel Jameson New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Richmond, North Yorkshire
    Hi all
    I have just been told the reason my battery is not holding much of a charge, even though the battery is new, is because my starter motor is drawing too much from the battery on starting. I have the battery at full volts, it sits on an optimate yet 4 days in my cold UK garage in winter I go to start it, it turns twice and does not fire the bike. Jump start it run it for 5 mins, bike charges the battery, bike then fires, turn off, fires turn off, fires from the same battery. Should i be looking at a new/reconditioned/ebay starter motor for my beloved Sprint ST 1050 2006

2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Could be that the starter motor just needs a refresh or it could be a dodgy starter solenoid.
    I’d start by checking the cleanliness and tightness of the electrical connections at the battery, starter and solenoid before thinking of changing anything

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nigel Jameson

Nigel Jameson New Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Richmond, North Yorkshire
    Thank you for a prompt reply, I will do just that, I am in the UK so when you say refresh, do you mean a Rebuild Kit

4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Yes, it’s usually just the brush pack that wears and the inside gets full of dust and dirt.