Thruxton Standard Special

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by TonyG, Nov 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    There is a standard Thruxton in Jack Lilleys that is one of the most gorgeous looking bikes I have ever seen. They have tarted it up with a stunning orange paint job, some lovely pipes, and a few odds and ends, tail tidy, indicators, etc.. I'm tempted to trade in my Ducati 1100s but the price is £11,999, just £400 short of an R model. I've seen standard Thruxtons with delivery mileage only for under £9,000. I don't think I would in all honesty need the Ohlins etc. on the road, but if you are going to splash out that much might as well just get an R.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    This looks to me like you’ve answered your own question.
    I chose the standard over the R purely because I prefer the more retro look, but it’s all about what you want.
    If an R floats your boat get an R

I’ve just bought Ohlins rear shocks and fork internals because the S didn’t do it for me when riding,probably because I’m a 17 stone lump.
    Although this may not effect you.

Take one for a ride and you definitely loose the Duk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi Glyn,
    I've ridden the R but not the standard. I'm only 11 stone so probably would be ok with the standard suspension, though my Ducati does have Ohlins. I think if I go with my head rather than my heart I'd get a low mileage standard and use any savings to tailor it he way I want it.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    honestly the S is a great bike but probably best to ride one first as you’ve already ridden an R

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    4DBA869E-E032-4B4D-A30E-F8D784098EDC.jpeg I’m assuming it’s this one

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #5 Glyn Phillips, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    I watched the video of it on the Jack Lilley website, it’s got
    Led indicators front and rear
    X pipe
    End cans
    Grey grips
    Tank strap
    Low bars
    Mudguard removal kit
    Short front mudguard
    Painted tank
    So it may be worth the extra,that’s a few quids worth of bits

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    That's the one, and it looks even better in the flesh. It has got those extras, but it's still a lot to pay, and as I say you could get a new or nearly new one for far less and make the changes yourself. It was just one of those moments when you see a bike and think you have to have it. I've been thinking about getting a Thruxton for a while, but the M1100s is pretty faultless in my eyes, so was in no rush.
    Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ashtons99

Ashtons99 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2018
    Doncaster
    You would have to buy it because you really liked it. The reality is it won’t hold its value like an R and when you come to trade it in or whatever the value won’t reflect all the extras fitted to it. Most dealers will probably just offer you standard bike price on it so you would be hoping to find a buyer who, like you, appreciates the extra value of the additions.
    Most dealers are very good at talking up the extras fitted to a bike but not doing likewise when it’s time to trade in.
    I don’t know how popular the standard 1200 is, I know my local dealer, Team Roberts, tell me they haven’t sold a single standard 1200.

Just my thoughts

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    #7 Glyn Phillips, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    :)Oi I have a Standard because I’m cheap.
    Just the way I am

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    The only thing I find when you have a individual bike like this you can't sell it that easy as no one wants different because paint jobs and that all add expense if you scratch or chip the pain. But have to agree its a cracker.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

11. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    9D7EAA2E-1356-48D0-9FAB-A33C6E938D5F.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Cheap but love it

• Like Like x 2
  13. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Can't believe they haven't sold quite a few standards. You could personalise it quite nicely as Glyn has done. I suppose the R is a good deal for the extras though and like you say any personalisation is not reflected if you come to sell it. At my point in life not sure I have another bike left in me to worry about resale though.
    Anyway, apart from 1 missed call and an email from Jack Lilley which I promptly replied to, not a sausage! So will stick to my original plan and get something later next year maybe. Mind you, I still love the Ducati.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    The great thing about bikes is they are personal to the rider.
    Ten people will drive a car and say roughly the same thing about it, ten people ride a bike and they’ll all find different reasons to love or hate it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,

I have gone and done it, put down a deposit and if my Ducati private sale goes through on Thursday I will be the excited owner of the orange Thruxton at a very reasonable price. Will have to have the baffles in though, sounded gorgeous but was bloody loud. Also have to see how I get on with the low bars but it comes with the originals anyway. Very sad to lose the Ducati, but have had a lot of personal stuff this year with family and friends illnesses and thought I should treat myself while I'm still alive! Was very tempted by The R which is definitely worth the extra, but my Ducati has Ohlins and to be honest I've never changed a setting, it also had radial Brembos but no ABS, so I think if I trip the ABS on the Nissans I'm still going to be breaking pretty hard. Also, service costs seem much better on the Triumph.

Sh*t time of year to buy though.

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  16. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I am with you mate, do it all, have it all, and have it NOW!
    Sound like a Queen song don't I?

• Like Like x 3
  17. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    It won’t disappoint mate, enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  18. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I was just thinking the same thing, about having answered his own question, that is!

19. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Deed is done, Ducati sold, hopefully picking up the Triumph in the next few days weather permitting.

Then it will probably sit in the garage until there's not a trace of salt to be seen.

Seriously, until they start salting the roads I will be out and about. Looking forward to the Thruxton experience, hope I can cope with the low bars, but funnily enough my knackered back seems happier with low bars.

Can't wait now, don't mean to sound patronising, but how lucky it is to be able to buy a new bike.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  20. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Thank you

21. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Tony, the great thing about this bike is it’s so easy to change, low bars high bars,whichever feels right.
    I’m going to low bars because I’m fitting the nose fairing but after trying them on a friends bike it’s not uncomfortable at all.
    Also I’ve had 25mm Ohlins fork internals and bought a set of R rear shocks and had them rebuilt and black springs for my weight fitted.

The best bit with everything I’ve done to the bike it’s still 1K cheaper than an R.

Enjoy the bike in every way you can it’s a lovely looking thing

• Like Like x 2
  22. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Thanks for all the comments.

I'm not averse to a bit of tinkering Glyn, in fact that's half the fun.

Cheers

23. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    What's the running in process on these motors, so eager to get away I never asked at the dealer. Book just says don't over rev really.